New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    I am planning to buy a pickup. Is stability and traction control important? Need some advise please.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Hmm... I smell ford ranger 3.2 4x4? Am i right? Inmo, it depends on your daily routine sir. Try to test drive to see the difference

3. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    I didn't know ranger had traction /stability control? I have to look at that. I really want the ranger, but only the bt50 had stability control. My wife says safety is more important than looks. I will be traveling 100km per day and I am trying to decide which one is better.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If you're doing a lot of high speed driving on provincial highways, stability control can be helpful, but most of the time, ABS is all you need.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gsprimetime View Post
    I didn't know ranger had traction /stability control? I have to look at that. I really want the ranger, but only the bt50 had stability control. My wife says safety is more important than looks. I will be traveling 100km per day and I am trying to decide which one is better.

Sa cornering magagamit yan at beyond normal speed, or sa unfamiliar road with an unexpected curves/turns.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    I read some articles that other countries are trying to make stability control a standard. The safety ratings doesn't apply here since the dealers stripped the airbags and removed the stability control. Very hard to decide.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    taken from dunk your biscuit 106 strange scientific facts by Rik Kuiper and Tonie Mudde

Don’t Waste Money on an Airbag
    Buying a car? If you care about your safety you will of
    course invest in an airbag. And hey, you might as well add
    an anti-lock braking system (ABS), to prevent the wheels
    slipping during an emergency stop. According to laboratory
    evidence these things increase safety dramatically: due to
    ABS an accident is less likely, and should something happen
    the airbag prevents injury.
    But is it really worth the investment? This was the question
    asked by Professor of Civil Engineering Fred Mannering of
    Purdue University in the USA. Together with other researchers
    he analysed the characteristics of drivers driving around the
    state of Washington between 1992 and 1996. Did the owners
    of cars with airbags or anti-lock brakes have less accidents?
    No. And what’s more, their physical injuries turned out to be
    just as bad as for those with less ‘safe’ cars. For the researchers
    this result did not come as a big surprise. It is often the case
    that extra safety measures lead people to take bigger risks.
    This is known as the ‘offset hypothesis’: drivers with airbags
    or ABS feel safer and so keep less distance, change lanes more
    often on the motorway and take more risks at junctions than
    when they don’t have the extra features.

Maheshri, V., Mannering, F. L. & Winston, C. ‘An exploration
    of the offset hypothesis using disaggregate data: the case
    of airbags and antilock brakes’ in Journal of Risk and
    Uncertainty 32 (2006), pp. 83–99

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The "compensation" effect doesn't really matter here in the Philippines, because people drive like arseholes whether they have ABS or not.

In any event, if you drive like a normal human being, ABS can save your life, as, from our testing, it can decrease stopping distances by up to two car lengths versus no ABS. What's more, not having ABS on a pick-up means that in certain conditions, the rear tires can lock up, leading to a spin and a possible roll-over in emergency braking.

Traction control will only matter in 4x2 mode on the highway, where it will keep you from oversteering the car if you try to accelerate the car suddenly on a slippery road. If you drive like a normal human being, no problem. If you own a

Stability control helps tame excess understeer and oversteer through the use of brakes, and may be useful if you are attempting to avoid an accident... or may not be. From testing, stability control lowers the handling threshold of some cars, meaning that you won't be able to turn as quickly if the need arises. Case-to-case basis siguro, but regular drivers won't suffer from having it, and it's good to have, because most drivers will not react properly to an emergency, anyway, and might try to steer the car away too hard, leading to understeer, oversteer or a roll-over.

I wouldn't be bothered if a pick-up didn't have traction control or stability control (I don't drive like a maniac on public roads). But I would be bothered if it didn't have ABS.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    jeepney drivers aren't bothered........

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    jeepney drivers aren't bothered........
    Jeepnney drivers usually have a ton of ballast over the back axle and braking systems so weak you couldn't lock up the brakes if you were driving on ice.

Reminds me of the Lancia Monte Carlo. Notorious for locking up its front brakes and skidding out of control. Solution from Lancia? Disconnect the brake booster so you'd need Herculean legs to lock them up. :hysterical:
    Last edited by niky; March 1st, 2013 at 11:16 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Is traction control and stability control important?