New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i'm curious. what more expensive diesel maintenance and parts are we talking about? there's the obvious change oil and filter.. then what else?
    The biggest expense for the D4d over the VVTi engine would be the common rail system should it fail or be in need of servicing.

When we had our manual D4d, it got the best mileage by running at a constant 80kph at 5th gear but its also sooo slow and will make the driver sleepy if youre on an open road such as NLEX/SCTEX. Given the speedo error, its running around 70-75kph real time.

i'm curious. what more expensive diesel maintenance and parts are we talking about? there's the obvious change oil and filter.. then what else?
    i haven't replaced my spark plugs (glow plugs!).. i haven't touched my carburetor (?).. 6 years and running..
    It could be true for those mechanically-injected engines.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    i haven't replaced my spark plugs (glow plugs!).. i haven't touched my carburetor (?).. 6 years and running..
    a popular internet address rates the E and G diesel series as the most bang for your buck. (i guess it feels the V series is too frivolous..?)

Common rail injectors are bound to get replaced as it mileage increases, more so if you use dirty fuels. The injectors costs 20k each, scv pump and fuel pump also needs to be replaced as the car ages.

If your going to keep the car for more than 5 years, your safer with the vvti.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shibby75 View Post
    The injectors costs 20k each, scv pump and fuel pump also needs to be replaced as the car ages.

this is the reason why i chose the VVTi.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    With the impending increase of diesel due to excise tax, from a financial point of view, is the diesel still worth it versus the gas given its 100k difference? I was thinking of getting the diesel but with news of 10peso increase per litter in diesel due to excise tax, i am having second thoughts of getting the gas variant instead. I average 9k km/year and plan to keep at least 10 years.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by keithdb View Post
    With the impending increase of diesel due to excise tax, from a financial point of view, is the diesel still worth it versus the gas given its 100k difference? I was thinking of getting the diesel but with news of 10peso increase per litter in diesel due to excise tax, i am having second thoughts of getting the gas variant instead. I average 9k km/year and plan to keep at least 10 years.

You're basing your long-term decision on something that isn't even confirmed.

From my experience in the petroleum industry, it's very unlikely that they can implement a 10-peso excise tax. Too much of our economy depends on diesel. All our goods are delivered by diesel trucks. All our roads are built by diesel cement mixers. Most modes of public transport are through diesel vehicles.

And even if you take the excise taxes to be true, intrinsically, the diesel Innova is still more frugal and is much more suited to carrying people than the gas-fed one.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002

Im resale though, the diesel may still make up for the price difference.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008

whatever the cost of the fuels, the diesel still makes more km/li, compared to the gas.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ;1814427
    Common rail injectors are bound to get replaced as it mileage increases, more so if you use dirty fuels. The injectors costs 20k each, scv pump and fuel pump also needs to be replaced as the car ages.

this came out in 2011.
    after 6 years, i am happy to note that, aside from the oil and filter changes, my now-12-year-old diesel engine still did not need any sort of maintenance or repair. the odometer is over 120K. i hope my luck holds.
    Last edited by dr. d; May 21st, 2017 at 10:19 PM.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    this came out in 2011.
    after 6 years, i am happy to note that, aside from the oil and filter changes, my now-12-year-old diesel engine still did not need any sort of maintenance or repair. the odometer is over 120K. i hope my luck holds.
    Have you changed your timing belt doc?

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Toyota Innova: Gas or Diesel