New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Hi guys. Need your help in choosing between the two cars. It would be for my wife to drive. Will really appreciate inputs, comments and suggestions. You can even suggest another brand and model for our consideration (we also considered the Mazda CX5, Honda CRV, RAV 4, and the ASX)

Thanks in advance

2. Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Maganda xtrail but i heard and read that the forester is excellent when it comes to safety. You can cross out the other SUVs. Btw there will be a CX5 facelift next year. I heard that they will also put the infotainment system from the Mazda3 to the cx5.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The Forester is ahead of the pack in terms of sales in the CUV segment. It offers more in terms of value even with the entry level model. It has AWD already compared to most entry level CUV's which is only FWD, plus all the safety features that Subaru puts into their cars. The Xtrail does offer a 3rd row seat but reviews say it is a bit cramped.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Arrange for a test drive. Nothing beats brochure numbers like time behind the wheel. Parang shopping for shoes lang yan. Maganda sa display pero di pala maganda ang fit wala rin.

Anyway:

The Xtrail is longer than the Forester.

The Forester has big glass windows and great all around visibility.

The Xtrail's interior looks more upscale than the simpler one that Subaru offers (I prefer simple though )

Both are made in Japan.
    Last edited by JohnM; November 26th, 2014 at 10:33 AM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    AWD
    ...is not of any benefit on an entry-level crossover.

There's no excess of power, so you don't need AWD for extra traction.

These cars aren't necessarily meant to go off-road. And certainly not on stock tires.

It doesn't make the handling more secure on road. (because, again, there is no excess of power to cause massive understeer or oversteer)

It doesn't make the car brake better.

On the negative side, AWD is heavier and causes more driveline losses, which makes both fuel economy and performance worse than comparable FWD crossovers.

On the powerful Fozzie XT, AWD is a necessity. On the base Fozzie 2.0... no.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I stand corrected in the sense that AWD is a liability for CUV's with something like 150hp.

However, other manufacturers make AWD a premium of sorts thus making such models to be priced higher than its entry-level FWD models. Even though most of them have less than 200hp, it is not a benefit then for such models to having AWD.

Will the new entry-level Escape FWD with its 1.6L Ecoboost engine rated at 178hp offer better value?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    As someone who's driven both FWD and AWD vehicles in snowy winters, AWD makes a huge difference. AWD tend to have less slippage. AWD also makes it easier to deal with centrifugal forces while negotiating a curved road/or turn* (on a snow-covered road).

Of course, conditions are different in the PH. But, I imagine hydroplaning can be similar to snow on the road. AWD can come in handy even with 4-banger engines.

*If you like to drift, it's a thrill to see a FWD car lose traction on a turn. It's always a gamble whether you'll stay on the road or the centrifugal forces force your car to go off-road.... or into oncoming traffic. Either way, you'll get a few more gray hairs.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; November 27th, 2014 at 12:03 AM.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Was CUV-hunting a few months ago and on my list were the Forester 2.0L, XV 2.0i, RAV4 2WD, Sorento LX crdi 2wd, CX-5 Pro and the CR-V. I ended up with the last one. This was because I found the other models too bare. Feature by feature, Honda gets more toys than the others. Like mine has cruise control, reverse camera, rear AC vents(only the Sorento and CRV has these I believe), lever for tumbling-down rear seats easily, MID LCD, programmable lighting and door lock settings etc.

Fuel consumption wise, Top Gear had a comparo of 4WD versions of the CX5, RAV4 and the CRV. What came out as the winner was the CRV. Another thing was, early this year I got to spend a month driving the Lexus RX350 in the states, the driving position of the CRV reminds me very well of the RX350. I actually call it the poor man's RX350.

Finally, what sealed my decision to get the CRV was the price. It was cheaper than the CX5 and the Forester which were on my final list.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sientobente View Post
    Was CUV-hunting a few months ago and on my list were the Forester 2.0L, XV 2.0i, RAV4 2WD, Sorento LX crdi 2wd, CX-5 Pro and the CR-V. I ended up with the last one. This was because I found the other models too bare. Feature by feature, Honda gets more toys than the others. Like mine has cruise control, reverse camera, rear AC vents(only the Sorento and CRV has these I believe), lever for tumbling-down rear seats easily, MID LCD, programmable lighting and door lock settings etc.

Fuel consumption wise, Top Gear had a comparo of 4WD versions of the CX5, RAV4 and the CRV. What came out as the winner was the CRV. Another thing was, early this year I got to spend a month driving the Lexus RX350 in the states, the driving position of the CRV reminds me very well of the RX350. I actually call it the poor man's RX350.

Finally, what sealed my decision to get the CRV was the price. It was cheaper than the CX5 and the Forester which were on my final list.
    Sir tell us about the oil change interval too and its cost hahahah.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    Sir tell us about the oil change interval too and its cost hahahah.
    that is true sir, i also find honda cheaper to maintain(except for mazda of course) because the PMS schedule is every 10,000kms. My 11th-gen Altis already cost me close to 7k on it's first 5,000kms. While someone noted in HCP, that it only cost him around 5k for his first 10,000kms on his CRV.

my only problem is the CRV has an ugly rear when you look at it head on. the rear quarter view though does not look bad at all

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
New Nissan Xtrail 4x2 vs Subaru Forester 2.0L