New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Hi Everyone,

I am planning to buy either an Innova or a Montero nonVGT M/T. I know they are non-comparable given that Montero is an SUV and Innova is barely an AUV. I'm just comparing their prices since i can only afford an INNOVA G A/T that costs 1.14M. given that, i saw the Montero nonVGT M/T priced at 1.198M with discounts pa so i'm kind of inclined to consider that as well. with innova, i'm sure of the quality since it's a toyota and part for future problems (plus di siya hot car compared to the Montero). Well, i might be going on and on with how im trying to justify why i want an innova but my real questions are concerning Montero. I just have a few concerns that you might be able to help me with:
    1. how inferior is the non-VGT engine of the low-end montero? how does it compare with the vgt engine? is this a totally different engine or simply wala lang vgt? i know vgt produces more hp at 178 vs 136 of nonvgt
    2. is the non vgt hp at 136 enough already?
    3. what are the spec differences of a non-vgt variant from a vgt variant? un lang bang vgt ung difference or may iba pang tinangal sa interior/exterior ng monty?
    4. are there any other concerns/problems encountered in the new montero? like a/c problems and other stuff that i should consider before buying?
    5. how is the service of mitsubishi dealers when it comes to tune up and change oil? how about spare parts? i heard hindi siya kasing dami ng toyota...
    6. how true is the monero being a hot car? how rampant is it? of course i'm considering safety as well... mahirap ng macarnapan...

Thanks guys! hope you can shed light to my dilemma...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I spent quite a while with a non vgt unit and the power is adequate for almost all local road conditions. Try driving one first. For me its ok even for out of town trips and hilly terrain.

I used to have a mitsu and parts are never a problem especially on popular models.

I dont avail of dealership service anymore.

We are always using vehicles that are in the top ten list of carnapped vehicles. Some are used for work, some are used to ferry vips. So far none have been stolen despite being in use all the time. Just take the appropriate precautions. Even unpopular cars get stolen.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    I spent quite a while with a non vgt unit and the power is adequate for almost all local road conditions. Try driving one first. For me its ok even for out of town trips and hilly terrain.

I used to have a mitsu and parts are never a problem especially on popular models.

I dont avail of dealership service anymore.

We are always using vehicles that are in the top ten list of carnapped vehicles. Some are used for work, some are used to ferry vips. So far none have been stolen despite being in use all the time. Just take the appropriate precautions. Even unpopular cars get stolen.

Thanks so much for this. what do you mean by you had driven a nonvgt for quite a while? was that a montero as well? meaning previous models also had nonvgt engines? and not just now? thanks.

as for being carnapped, will take precautionary measure and research that... are monteros with plates still rampantly being carnapped or is it just those that are really brand new? thanks again.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Someone bought a non vgt montero sport unit before they needed or had space for it at their home so i ended up using it for a couple of weeks. I forgot what model year, i think it was a 10 model. A year before everyone went vgt.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Before 2011, all Monteros didn't have VGT. They were available either with the 2.5L 4D56 (136 hp) or the 3.2L 4M41 (165 hp) common-rail diesel engine.

The 2.5 GLX Montero you're looking at now has the same engine as the Montero of 2 years ago. Compared to the Fortuner, or more appropriately, the Innova (since it's priced against this), the Montero's engine is definitely stronger. The Toyotas only have 102 hp on tap from their non-VGT D4D engines, found on all diesel Innovas and the 2.5G Fortuner. It should prove adequate for both city trips and out-of-town escapades. Just don't expect it to be a race car, and I'm sure you'll be satisfied with the Montero's performance.

Also, the 1.198M Montero GLX isn't just a GLX-V without the VGT engine. Other features have been removed as well, but it's best that you check out the car in person, and get a feel of whether it's just right for you, or if you'll find it too bare.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Between the innova and non vgt Montero...I'll choose Montero without a wink! It's a bang for the buck price already.With regards to being a hot car, even Innovas get stolen.

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    Montero GLX
    +Macho looks = wheels, presence, powerful engine, etc..

Innova G and up
    +Second row passenger is more comfortable than Montero/Fortuner. Better seats and cushioning(vs. Montero).
    +Ceiling height is much larger, giving an impression of spaciousness (vs. Montero/Fortuner).
    +Seem to have better interior build quality (vs. Montero)
    +Since this is not meant for offroading, it has been designed to allow more space for all occupants to stretch (that includes the last row).

Montero nonVGT questions???