New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2005

I currently own both Japanese and Korean vehicles...

Dati, bang for the buck ang Korean vehicles... Mura na, maganda/quality pa...

Ngayon, ka-presyo na ng Japanese vehicles...

It is a tougher choice, nowadays...

“The measure of a man is what he does with power – LJIOHF!”
    24.5K:nite:

2. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    If I may ask, bakit wala pang truck/pick up na Korean made dito sa Pilipinas? Di ba nila kaya makipagsabayan sa tibay ng japanese pick ups?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasparov View Post
    If I may ask, bakit wala pang truck/pick up na Korean made dito sa Pilipinas? Di ba nila kaya makipagsabayan sa tibay ng japanese pick ups?
    There are only two places in the world to go when you're talking pick-ups. Thailand and the USA.

Hyundai doesn't have a plant in Thailand. No point in making a pick-up in India or Korea that won't be able to compete on price with the Thai pickups in the ASEAN market. They would have to rely on European sales to support development. Not gonna happen.

And it doesn't make sense for ANYONE who isn't a US-based manufacturer to make pick-ups in the USA... since you can't sell US pick-ups anywhere else.

If the idea is that Hyundai can't build durable trucks... Hyundai is big in the shipping business and has a decent market share in the cargo truck and bus business in a number of markets. It makes sense to build cargo trucks. Unlike pick-up trucks, you can sell cargo trucks everywhere.

*Not mentioning the others... because Kia is also part of Hyundai. Ssangyong isn't big enough to make a go of it. And Daewoo is under GMDAT and is marketed as Chevrolet outside Korea... and Cheverolet already has a pick-up built in the ASEAN.
    Last edited by niky; October 1st, 2014 at 09:55 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    From my own observations, suspension systems is one area where the Japanese have a clear advantage. There's parity everywhere else.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    From my own observations, suspension systems is one area where the Japanese have a clear advantage. There's parity everywhere else.
    I have to agree on this. And based on my experience with pick-ups, even jap pick-ups have better underchassis and suspension parts than american cars. But that is not including current generations, they may or may not have improved.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    in my short stay in Pusan, SK, I think I never even saw 1 pick up. Lahat gamit close vans for hauling small stuff. It either is raining or snowing and maybe that is why they don't use pick up trucks.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Depends on which manufacturer. Toyota's suspension tuning and design is all over the place. There was a point in the last decade where they sold Corollas that would roll into lift-off oversteer and fishtail out of control because of ultra-soft suspension tuning mated to a lack of a rear roll-bar.

Honda cars are alternately too stiff or too soft.

Subaru often gets it right. Their cars often have long stroke suspensions that ride great.

But it's Mazda that gets it almost completely right. Too bad they still can't seem to make bushings that don't turn brittle after four or five years.

Hyundai's suspension tuning is terrible, except for the Santa Fe and Tucson. Kia's is pretty good.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Depends on which manufacturer. Toyota's suspension tuning and design is all over the place. There was a point in the last decade where they sold Corollas that would roll into lift-off oversteer and fishtail out of control because of ultra-soft suspension tuning mated to a lack of a rear roll-bar.

Subaru often gets it right. Their cars often have long stroke suspensions that ride great.

But it's Mazda that gets it almost completely right. Too bad they still can't seem to make bushings that don't turn brittle after four or five years.

Hyundai's suspension tuning is terrible, except for the Santa Fe and Tucson. Kia's is pretty good.
    Nissan seems to have decent suspensions as well. Although comparing the suspension systems of my 2006 Sonata and 2013 Rogue may seem apples and oranges, the Nissan's is definitely much better.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    KIA,s are tuned for euro market.

Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
Korean vs Japanese Cars