New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    We rode a HiAce Commuter during our out of town trip last weekend, and overall, I find it an unspectacular but pleasant van. Interior design is very spartan. Space is okay, but an added knee space would surely help. It was able to fit fourteen of us easily and comfortably, although it lacked some cargo space. Regarding the engine, I don't think it was weak; we were actually traveling quite fast most of the time. The ride is stiff, though, as it gets really fussy and jittery while traveling on rough and unpaved roads, but on "good" roads, it feels okay. I don't know if these impressions apply with the higher-end models (GL and Super Grandia), since I was not able to ride those yet.

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    trust me its the same ride quality..

3. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoy View Post
    trust me its the same ride quality..
    Ahh okay... I really find the HiAce a nice van. I don't know why, but I like the very boxy looks of it. It's boxy in a good way. Hehe... Although the ride quality is not much of an issue for me, it might be for other buyers. But despite that and other issues, I noticed that it's a popular choice for buyers since I can see those vans just scattered everywhere.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by p_borj View Post
    Hyundai Grand Starex. May nguso kasi kaya mas hindi ka ipit sa head on collisions and mas madaling mag-maintain.

D4D ang Toyota, and it imposed many problems before on it's fuel pump, so its clear Hyundai Grand Starex na kunin ng TS.

I understand about safety in the front for drivers (eg. crumple zone). Concerned din ako sa safety ng mga nakaupo sa likod ng sasakyan. I noticed that passengers in the 3rd row of the Starex are very close to the rear of the vehicle (just like Innova, Fuzion). Unlike with the Super Grandia where the 3rd row still covers a good distance from the rear. May nakita kasi ako pauwi nabangga na SG sa likod. Malakas ang bangga kasi basag salamin and talagang yupi ang likod. Just imagining that if there were passengers sitting on the last row really close to the rear window, malamang naaksidente na yun. But if nasa 3rd row ka, malamang ok ka pa din. Sa Grand Starex nakasakay ako sa 3rd row and malapit nga talaga sa likod so may risk pag rear end collision.
    I liked the Grand Starex the way it looks and rides. I am not sure, I guess nobody is at this point, as to what kind of resale value it will get once it goes on the second hand market. Unlike Toyota, we already know that it maintains value - judging from the J Super Grandias 5 years old and newer models.
    Also, how come Grand Starex doesnt even have a rear wiper ? Di ko rin ito ma gets.
    Overall, for my money, I think I will give the Super Grandia a slight edge over Grand Starex.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Weird, we have one Grandia and one Super Grandia but we never encountered any problems with the engine. GS has better ride quality but Toyota for me is still more reliable.

But if you want a really long term investment, then Nissan Urvan Estate is better. We have a 10yr old Urvan and it's still as powerful as ever. Only problem we encountered is overheating. The ride is very bouncy, but 4 captain seats is still the best hehe. And the freakin AC is cold! No thermostat to adjust the temp!

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bernielc2000 View Post
    I understand about safety in the front for drivers (eg. crumple zone). Concerned din ako sa safety ng mga nakaupo sa likod ng sasakyan. I noticed that passengers in the 3rd row of the Starex are very close to the rear of the vehicle (just like Innova, Fuzion). Unlike with the Super Grandia where the 3rd row still covers a good distance from the rear. .
    we should compare the grand starex gold variant with the super grandia. we chose GS because the seats are adjustable ergo maximum cargo bay. unlike the super grandia wherein the last row is fixed and can only be folded. the only trade off of GS is it can only seat 9 whereas the super grandia seats 11. correct me if im wrong. as far as i know, the last row of super grandia is really close to the rear.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    My bro has a Super Grandia while I have a Grand Starex. Having driven both vans, my conclusion is that if you want a van that drives like a car then go for the Grand Starex but if you want something that drives like an Isuzu Elf then go for the Super Grandia.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tucson88 View Post
    we should compare the grand starex gold variant with the super grandia. we chose GS because the seats are adjustable ergo maximum cargo bay. unlike the super grandia wherein the last row is fixed and can only be folded. the only trade off of GS is it can only seat 9 whereas the super grandia seats 11. correct me if im wrong. as far as i know, the last row of super grandia is really close to the rear.
    Having reread my post from a year and a half ago, I can say that Hyundai especially HARI and even Pitstop has made great additions for current units coming out compared to those 2 years ago...

For example...
    1. Newest HARI models already have a smaller roof mounted antenna.
    2. They also have rear window wiper and washer on all variants of the GS.
    3. Pitstop HVX models feature newer head units plus side repeater lights on side mirrors (and 2 sun roofs).
    4. Pitstop CVX models have rear backup camera and equivalent head unit.

etc. etc. etc.

And for the Toyota Super Grandia? I am not aware of any new enhancement or facelift since 2 years ago.

Going to the suggestion that the GS Gold variant be compared with the Super Grandia, the only advantage I see the SG having is the automatic door closer and the twin headrest mounted LCD monitors.

Re the rear seat rows, the GS Gold and 10 seater CRDi variants have fold and slide capability. Thus you can move the rear row forward to allow for additional baggage space between the rear tailgate. The Super Grandia's rear row seats are fixed, but can be folded. They can't be slid forward. Only the 12 seater Grand Starex has the rear seat row too close to the tailgate, which is not that safe in a rear end collision.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    grand starex by miles. first because of the power and secondly dahil sa additional safety na may nguso sya. panoorin nyo lang sa youtube yung mga crash test video ng mga flat nose.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    own a legend... drive a grand starex... the legendary grand starex... 2009 autofocus van of the year / autofocus car of the year

Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Hyundai Grand Starex vs. Toyota Super Grandia