New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Starex for me... especially if you'll be doing the driving.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    i'd go for the GRAND STAREX bcoz of the following reasons:

-Euro 4 latest generation CRDI engine with BORG WAGNER VGT Turbo
    -D4D engine ng Toyota has lot of unresolved issues/problem/concern
    -Macpherson Struts sa Front ng Grand Starex vs double wishbone sa Grandia
    -5 link rear suspension ang GRAND STAREX while Leaf spring sa Super Grandia
    -5 speed manu-matic AT sa GRand Starex while 4 speed AT sa Super Grandia
    -All Disk Brakes sa Grand Starex while Drum rear brakes sa Super Grandia
    -Value for money sa Grand Starex
    -5 year or 100th kms ang Grand Starex
    -174hp/392Nm torque-Grand Starex vs 102hp/260Nm torque-Super Grandia
    -16" wheels sa Grand Starex vs 15" wheels sa Super Grandia
    -Grand Starex is bigger and wider

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    As mentioned above. Grand Starex talaga!

4. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    grand starex sakin kaso dami pa kulang.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Grand Starex ako hands down, sa porma palang panalo na, mukhang chest freezer yung Super Grandia. And besides my brother owns a Super Grandia, kaasar i-drive in my experience.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    It all depends what you want out of your van:

Engine - more powerful engine for the Grand Starex with CRDi VGT (170ps) vs Super Grandia's D4D (102ps). Also, more torque for Grand Starex (40kg/m) than Super Grandia (26.5kg/m) -- and both are 2.5 liters.

Comfort - I checked out my friend's Super Grandia and it has more headroom and legroom than my Grand Starex. If you are the passenger, the Super Grandia is better. If you are the driver or front seat passenger, the Grand Starex is better. This is because the wheel well is directly below the driver's seat on the Super Grandia which makes ingress and egress more challenging. However, the auto door closer for the sliding doors is a plus for the Super Grandia.

Suspension/ride - Grand Starex is better with front McPherson and rear coil springs. Super Grandia is double wishbone in front and leaf springs behind. I think the longer wheelbase on the Grand Starex (3,200mm) makes a far more comfortable ride than the Super Grandia (2,570mm).

Brakes and wheels - Grand Starex CRDi has ABS and all disc brake setup with 215/70/16 tires. Super Grandia has ABS on front disc and rear drum brakes on 225/70/15 tires.

Entertainment system - Super Grandia has twin headrest monitors while Grand Starex has none (only DVD HU but no display).

Exterior - the Super Grandia only comes in 2 colors. The Grand Starex has at least five choices.

Safety - Grand Starex is better due to the engine being in front of the driver (added frontal crash zone) vs. the Super Grandia where the engine is below the driver's seat.

Pet peeves - no 3rd brake light and underview mirror on Grand Starex. You need to shell out over P14,000 to get these with a spoiler. What's worse, there is no rear wiper/washer. The Super Grandia has all except the mirror.

The roof mounted antenna on the Starex tends to snag on the low hanging pipes and beams in the parking malls. At least the Super Grandia has an adjustable pillar mounted antenna.

All in all, if the owner were to drive the vehicle most of the time, I'd recommend the Grand Starex (more power/torque, better suspension). If the owner were the passenger most of the time, then the Super Grandia would be more logical (comfort, space and amenities).

7. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Starex_Gold View Post
    Actually, parehas lang po silang CRDi. Hindi lang yata Direct 4 Stroke ang Hyundai. O pareho lang? D4D kasi ang tawag ng Toyota sa mga CRDi nilang makina. Pero wala pa naman akong naririnig na reklamo sa CRDi ng Starex (non-VGT). Tsaka muka naman din tatagal ang makina ng Starex kasi 4D56 din yun eh (Hindi ko lang alam sa ibang engine parts lalo na yung bagong Variable Geometry Turbo). Lumang luma na makina na yun, "beterano" pa nga ang tawag ng iba sa 4D56 eh. Pero nasa iyo parin ang desisyon kung anong pipiliin mo.

The new 2.5L CRDi Hyundai engines are not 4d56 based anymore. They are VW/Audi based engines.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TFR View Post
    The new 2.5L CRDi Hyundai engines are not 4d56 based anymore. They are VW/Audi based engines.

I understand the 4D56 Mistubishi 2.5 Turbo diesel engine is the precursor of some of the Starex engines. Can someone further enlighten me on how these variants have morphed to the newer Grand Starex models (the DB4H TCi and the A2.5 CRDi)?

Thakns

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by GSTM9 View Post
    It all depends what you want out of your van:

Engine - more powerful engine for the Grand Starex with CRDi VGT (170ps) vs Super Grandia's D4D (102ps). Also, more torque for Grand Starex (40kg/m) than Super Grandia (26.5kg/m) -- and both are 2.5 liters.

Comfort - I checked out my friend's Super Grandia and it has more headroom and legroom than my Grand Starex. If you are the passenger, the Super Grandia is better. If you are the driver or front seat passenger, the Grand Starex is better. This is because the wheel well is directly below the driver's seat on the Super Grandia which makes ingress and egress more challenging. However, the auto door closer for the sliding doors is a plus for the Super Grandia.

Suspension/ride - Grand Starex is better with front McPherson and rear coil springs. Super Grandia is double wishbone in front and leaf springs behind. I think the longer wheelbase on the Grand Starex (3,200mm) makes a far more comfortable ride than the Super Grandia (2,570mm).

Brakes and wheels - Grand Starex CRDi has ABS and all disc brake setup with 215/70/16 tires. Super Grandia has ABS on front disc and rear drum brakes on 225/70/15 tires.

Entertainment system - Super Grandia has twin headrest monitors while Grand Starex has none (only DVD HU but no display).

Exterior - the Super Grandia only comes in 2 colors. The Grand Starex has at least five choices.

Safety - Grand Starex is better due to the engine being in front of the driver (added frontal crash zone) vs. the Super Grandia where the engine is below the driver's seat.

Pet peeves - no 3rd brake light and underview mirror on Grand Starex. You need to shell out over P14,000 to get these with a spoiler. What's worse, there is no rear wiper/washer. The Super Grandia has all except the mirror.

The roof mounted antenna on the Starex tends to snag on the low hanging pipes and beams in the parking malls. At least the Super Grandia has an adjustable pillar mounted antenna.

All in all, if the owner were to drive the vehicle most of the time, I'd recommend the Grand Starex (more power/torque, better suspension). If the owner were the passenger most of the time, then the Super Grandia would be more logical (comfort, space and amenities).
    nice

Wow, so the the grand starex seems to be the winner here. ANy other van that's comparable to the GS?

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Hyundai Grand Starex vs. Toyota Super Grandia