New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    For this day, The Navarra 4x4 looks good. though interior plastics aren't a delight, pero as long as it doesn't break-of ok na yan. Looks more macho too, plus the big cargo bed, squared-off looks (easier to drive for me) & easier to match bed for canopy's or roll bars, and that high output 2.5 engine is very tempting. hehehe

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    A larger all-new Ranger will make its debut soon...
    1st teaser photo...

- http://www.worldcarfans.com/11009202...und-for-the-us

Under the hood, a new range of engines will offer "impressive gains in power and fuel economy." While Ford is staying mum on details, previous reports have indicated we can expect a 175 PS (129 kW / 173 hp) 1.6-liter EcoBoost and a 154 PS (113 kW / 152 hp) 3.0-liter TDCi.
    Read more: http://www.worldcarfans.com/11009202...#ixzz105wRtszm

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    the current edition Ford Ranger was launched back in 2006 (launched locally in 2007 i think), facelifted last year then to be redesigned again next year?!?!?! even the Mazda BT-50 is showing some artistic impressions to be launched at the aussie motorshow soon...

i think Ford is defying the common rule of the common 8-9 year life cycle.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ianmitsulancer View Post
    the current edition Ford Ranger was launched back in 2006 (launched locally in 2007 i think), facelifted last year then to be redesigned again next year?!?!?! even the Mazda BT-50 is showing some artistic impressions to be launched at the aussie motorshow soon...

Thats because the current Ranger is based on the 1998/99 model.
    It was just reskinned and given new engines.

The Ranger we should be getting next year will be a larger all-new model.
    How much bigger? Big enough that they won't sell it in the US because the size gap between the all-new Ranger and F-150 isn't big enough for both models to exist side by side.
    Last edited by AG4; September 21st, 2010 at 01:07 PM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakero703 View Post
    Reputation as a car company, resale value, reliability, fuel economy, etc. The truth is in any line-up, mas mataas ang resale value ng Toyota cars compared to Mitsubishi. Hindi naman cguro myth eto and did not happen overnight. Years ago neck and neck ang reputation ng Mitsubishi with Toyota in build quality but somehow in the international market naiwan na ng Honda at Toyota and Nissan ang dating formidable Mitsubishi.
    The brand is one thing (and yes, I share your reservations about the brand... particularly in terms of aftersales services, having experienced this firsthand), but cars must be evaluated on the basis of their strenghts. And in any head to head evaluation, the Strada comes out on top or near the top.

The article you sighted list the Triton at $45,000 and the Hilux at $50,200 That’s a bigger price difference ditto sa Pinas if you convert it to PHP, plus mas malaki tinatabas ata ng dealers ditto sa sticker price with Toyota, we got ours for 1mil 390k while it was listed 1.45m, so 55k discount from list price. Plus redesigned ang suspension at engine ng Hilux for 2010 amongst other things so we don’t know kung how they would compare now, your article is based on 2007 models, though same generation, but like I said redesigned ang Hilux. Kung noon neck and neck ewan ko nalang ngayon.
    The only thing mechanically new on the 2010 Fortuner and Hilux is the stiffness of the rear suspension. Haven't heard about the Hilux's, but according to Fort owners and friends, the changes have done little for the Fortuner.

Punta ka sa ANCAP mas mataas rating ng Hilux sa Triton , pero fraction lang. Pero both 4 stars. Biased lang ang nagsasabi na hindi safe ang Hilux, pure opinion. I would rather be in the Hilux than in my 2005 civic kung magbangaan, I don’t care kung 5 stars ang award ng Civic.
    Why? If you're looking for safety, why don't you trust the five-star rating of the Civic if you trust the four-star rating of the Hilux?

Manood ka ng CNN, kung mga arabong Terrorist ang pinaguusapan lagging may Toyota Hilux na 20 years old with 20 gentlemen on the back holding up their AK’s.

Hilux is a tough mother, hindi mo kailangan mahalin it will serve you for a life time. Hilux in other countries is dubbed the “Unbreakable”.
    The old Hilux, obviously... dump the new Hilux in a saltwater bath like Top Gear did with their old one and you'll need a new set of computer boxes (to the tune of over 100k pesos) to get it to start.

But definitely, if you were looking for a tough truck for work or play, the Hilux has one of the best 3.0 engines on the market and is mod-friendly if you're into off-roading.

Pero gets ko okay. I like the Strada, kung ayun ang nabili namin hindi ako magpapakamatay, I will be happy as well. Pero since masmadami ata Strada boys ditto sa mga forums I’ll go ahead and play the advocate for Hilux, para equal ang playing field.
    Hehe... no problem. I'm a Ranger fan, myself... pero since outmatched ang kabayo ko dito, lie-low muna...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ianmitsulancer View Post

I've seen the illustration of the BT50 and IMO....if your gonna be pairing that body with the new chassis of the ranger which is based in the F150....well, Hands down....BT50 is gonna be one hot pancake in the future!....

with regards sa ranger, for me the design is quite predicatable already knowing its american roots....

7. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The brand is one thing (and yes, I share your reservations about the brand... particularly in terms of aftersales services, having experienced this firsthand), but cars must be evaluated on the basis of their strenghts. And in any head to head evaluation, the Strada comes out on top or near the top.
    Part of my evaluation of cars and in deciding if it’s a worthy buy is the reputation of the brand that carries them and like you I have firsthand experience with Mitsubishi. I cant imagine a serious buyer that would not consider this. Only inexperience buyers who have too much money to spend would not consider the brand. Not to say that people who buy Mitsubishi are inexperience buyers, point is the brand is important.

Why? If you're looking for safety, why don't you trust the five-star rating of the Civic if you trust the four-star rating of the Hilux?
    Because like everything else, safety is relative. I saw a video on this once; for example a brandnew car like the Yaris gets a 5 star rating goes head to head with a six year old Taurus that got 4 star rating (just an example I don’t know if these ratings are accurate sa dalawang cars na ito), so that’s compact versus a full size sedan, the video explains it is more likely that being in the Taurus is safer than the smaller lighter car despite having higher rating. i.e. I’d rather be sitting in the 4 star hilux than the 5 star civic on a head on collision.

The old Hilux, obviously... dump the new Hilux in a saltwater bath like Top Gear did with their old one and you'll need a new set of computer boxes (to the tune of over 100k pesos) to get it to start. [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Pogi/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
    That’s the truth with any car today, yes its true that the car featured in top gears abusive test didn’t have the electrical system that we have in cars today. But who know how secure the ECU of the current gens Hilux, but yes I’ll put my money that the ECU will be fried if its left in the ocean over night. Anyway the Hilux didn’t get the reputation from Top Gear it already had it before, its what prompted the test in the first place. Regardless of electrical system, the current Generation Hilux still has the pedigree and reputation, I’m willing to bet the current generation has a tougher chassis, suspension, transmission, engine, and overall better build quality than its predecessors. I wouldn’t be surprised if 10 years from now they caught Osama Bin Laden riding in a 2006 Hilux with his ten wives having a pick nick in the back of the truck .

Hehe... no problem. I'm a Ranger fan, myself... pero since outmatched ang kabayo ko dito, lie-low muna... [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Pogi/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
    [/quote]

So what makes you a Ranger fan? I’ve ridden in a 2007 model several times I thought it was pretty smooth for a pickup and was pretty quick.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    The Hilux failed the moose test and the Navarra got 1 star (or was it 2 star) rating in safety test (in Europe I think) the first time.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Yung sa NAV initially it failed due to a software glitch that delayed the inflation of airbags. Pero they fixed it and it passed pero not as high as Strada...

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Part of my evaluation of cars and in deciding if it’s a worthy buy is the reputation of the brand that carries them and like you I have firsthand experience with Mitsubishi. I cant imagine a serious buyer that would not consider this. Only inexperience buyers who have too much money to spend would not consider the brand. Not to say that people who buy Mitsubishi are inexperience buyers, point is the brand is important.
    If you only consider brand and don't consider the actual engineering and aftersales support behind that, then that's worse. The only reason I wouldn't buy a Mitsubishi Strada is due to my concern over after-sales support. This has nothing to do with the Mitsubishi brand itself and everything to do with the local dealership network.

Because like everything else, safety is relative. I saw a video on this once; for example a brandnew car like the Yaris gets a 5 star rating goes head to head with a six year old Taurus that got 4 star rating (just an example I don’t know if these ratings are accurate sa dalawang cars na ito), so that’s compact versus a full size sedan, the video explains it is more likely that being in the Taurus is safer than the smaller lighter car despite having higher rating. i.e. I’d rather be sitting in the 4 star hilux than the 5 star civic on a head on collision.
    A Hilux is not a Taurus. And that test was a Yaris versus a Camry.

That’s the truth with any car today,
    yes its true that the car featured in top gears abusive test didn’t have the electrical system that we have in cars today. But who know how secure the ECU of the current gens Hilux, but yes I’ll put my money that the ECU will be fried if its left in the ocean over night.
    A Ford Ranger / Everest will survive having its ECU immersed in water. During one off-road test, they left one in water for three days. (not on purpose, it got stranded in the mud on a river crossing). After they dried it out, it started up. Same happened with a friend... had both a Ranger and an Everest (both TDCi models) flooded in Ondoy. After they were cleaned out, started right up.

Anyway the Hilux didn’t get the reputation from Top Gear it already had it before, its what prompted the test in the first place. Regardless of electrical system, the current Generation Hilux still has the pedigree and reputation, I’m willing to bet the current generation has a tougher chassis, suspension, transmission, engine, and overall better build quality than its predecessors. I wouldn’t be surprised if 10 years from now they caught Osama Bin Laden riding in a 2006 Hilux with his ten wives having a pick nick in the back of the truck .
    You judge each generation of car based on its merits. Not the merits of its predecessors.

So what makes you a Ranger fan? I’ve ridden in a 2007 model several times I thought it was pretty smooth for a pickup and was pretty quick.
    It's very fast, very powerful and steers very well. But it has a crappy back seat and the ride in the back seat with an unladen bed is pretty bad compared to the Navara and Strada.

The Ranger and Hilux are both good working trucks, but for buyers nowadays demand car-like convenience from their pick-ups... and the two trucks that provide this are the Navara and the Strada.

However... the Ranger's torque and standard LSD means it drifts like heaven. Which is the reason why it's my favorite, even if by all objective measures, it's nowhere near the best truck on the market.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Great comparison: New hilux,Nissan Navara,Ford Ranger,L200,Dmax!!