New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    OT what's the difference between the Nav 4x4 to 4X2 sa looks lang?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto_minosa View Post
    So that's why it's so slow when flat out for a "170HP" truck! I thought the Navara would eat my VVT-i alive; but I've proven otherwise.
    It's around 11.2 seconds to 100 km/h... and you really have to row it to keep it "on boil". The 3 liters have a wider powerband, so despite having less power on paper, they're in "the zone" for much longer.

Note: It probably does have 170 hp... since most "140 hp" 2.5s don't have the same urge that the Navara 4x4 does, and take a second longer to get to 100 km/h.

Actually... know what... the Ford Ranger 4x2 we last tested, a 5AT, did 0-100 km/h in the same time as the Navara 4x4 6MT, exactly 11.2 seconds. But that's only because the Navara is harder to launch. The Ranger? Thanks to the sweet gearbox, we could actually do burnouts.

More telling is the 60-100 km/h time. The Navara did it in 6.1 seconds, the Ranger 2.5 in an average 6.6 seconds. So there is more power there, but it's not as meaty as the high torque figures would have you think.

Quote Originally Posted by arbe View Post
    The 4x2 has the "144 hp" engine and... obviously... no 4WD...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

The 4x2 has the "144 hp" engine and... obviously... no 4WD...
    sir niky, I know about that. what I mean is yung appearance nila, anong difference?

sir yung 0-100 kmh ba pedal on the floor kaagad from standstill?

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    *Niky
    Acceleration-wise to 100Kph I'm sure the Ranger gets it. I even think the 5AT of the Navara is better than the 6MT acceleration-wise. Have you tried maxxing out each pickup's top speed? That's what I meant when I said flat out speed goes to the Navara. I don't have the balls to floor the other pickups because of how unstable they get at top speed.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    * Sir wh1stl3r, I agree on that sir, I have driven both and for me the 5speed A/T, has a faster response acceleration-wise, I have driven what I think is the top, flat out speed of my 4x2 navara 190kph alongside a Hilux and a wildtrak Ranger, I guess it all goes down on the driver, maybe they can catch up or even pass me at that speed, but on that instance and based on my personal experience they both stop chasing at around 170-180kph

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by arbe View Post
    -------------------4x2 ----------------4x4
    engine-------------(mid) 144hp--------(high) 174hp
    Fender back--------medium------------wide
    wheels-------------16x6 R16-----------16x7 R16
    tyres---------------205/80-------------255/70
    height -------------1745mm------------taller by 35mm
    width---------------1795mm-----------wider by 55mm
    aircon control--------plain--------------same as EU
    lower bumper--------plain--------------with moulding
    suspension rear------SUA(under)--------SOA (spring over axle)
    LSD-----------------without------------with
    eyeglass holder------without------------with

All others are the same-ABS, EBD, front airbags, instrument panel, etc.

Looks are almost the same and hard to tell without looking at details especially if its moving. So if you encounter a speeding navara along xpressway, its hard to tell weather its a 4x2 or a 4x4.

I think 4x4 hilux can match navara in terms of exterior size, interior size goes to navara.
    Last edited by 12vdc; March 13th, 2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: krome edition is for 4x4 only

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    0-100 km/h is from a standstill. Torque-braked (brake and gas held down at the same time) if they're automatic, clutch-dropped (around 2000 rpm) if they're manual. The disadvantage for the Navara 6MT is there are a zillion gears to row through and the e-throttle balks when you apply power suddenly (the Ford manual is actually similar in this regard).

Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    *Niky
    Acceleration-wise to 100Kph I'm sure the Ranger gets it. I even think the 5AT of the Navara is better than the 6MT acceleration-wise. Have you tried maxxing out each pickup's top speed? That's what I meant when I said flat out speed goes to the Navara. I don't have the balls to floor the other pickups because of how unstable they get at top speed.
    Top speed is pointless because most of the trucks have a speed governor set at 180 km/h and HT tires aren't rated for high speed. All of them could do 190+ if they were de-limited or MT.

Yes, the Navara is stable at high speeds than most due to the supple suspension and lower ride height, but it's still a leaf-sprung live rear axle, so there's some swaying and side-stepping at the rear over bumps. A Strada actually feels a bit more steady, especially since Mitsubishi's suspension tuning adds a little more "safe" understeer than Nissan does. Besides, neither the Toyota nor the Ford feel squirrely at speed. (I've driven the Ranger at 160+... on the SLEX... which is terrible) Both impressively stable.

The caveat is, when driving any of these trucks at high speed... if you suddenly lose grip at the rear axle, they won't be as easy to catch as a car... as the infamous Fortuner incident on the Skyway a few years ago demonstrated.

And none of them have the braking power to haul down very quickly from high speeds.

This is the reason that top speed is not one of the objective performance metrics I record for road tests. That and the fact that the only safe place to try is the NLEX, and I already lost my license there once. (Getz CRDi at 3000 rpm = 140 km/h :hysterical: ) I don't want to do that again.

-

Still... if agility and emergency handling were amongst the criteria... the Navara would be at the top. In stock form, the Navara has the best balance, the most stability and the most predictability.

The Ford is keener to turn on the brakes or throttle... but the tires are not as good as the Navara, and the 3.0 can be skittish if you do sudden maneuvers, like the aforementioned Fortuner. Still... the Ford's agility is the reason they use Mazda BT50s as drift trucks at Tuason.

The Strada comes mid-pack to last in terms of emergency handling. Too much understeer, very slow steering.
    Last edited by niky; March 13th, 2010 at 01:03 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    [quote=projector;1204063]
    Quote Originally Posted by kian2x View Post
    Share your insites and opinions what is the greate truck for you,:

In terms of

*Exterior = strada
    *Interior = strada
    *4x4 Capability =strada
    *Thoughness =strada
    *Suspension =strada
    *Engine performance wise = strada
    *Fuel consumption = 2.5 strada

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++
    hindi naman obvious na maka-strada si sir.

for me:

*Exterior = Strada/Navara
    *Interior = Strada
    *4x4 Capability =Ranger/Hilux
    *Thoughness =Ranger/Strada
    *Suspension =Strada/Dmax
    *Engine performance wise = Strada/Ranger/Dmax
    *Fuel consumption = Strada/Ranger
    Last edited by beni23; March 13th, 2010 at 02:27 PM.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    [quote=beni23;1435292]
    Quote Originally Posted by projector View Post

hindi naman obvious na maka-strada si sir.

for me:

*4x4 Capability =Ranger/Hilux

hehehe di mo pa kasi natetesting yung Strada mo eh....

plano tayo minsan, sa Sapang bato ulit or Pinatubo di ko na kakalimutang i-text ka hehe.....or pwede rin dun sa Mt.tapulao trail para bago naman...

para di OT..

*Exterior = Strada/Hilux/Ranger/Navara/Dmax
    *Interior = Strada/Hilux/Ranger/Dmax/Navara
    *4x4 Capability =Strada/Hilux/Ranger
    *Suspension Comfort =Strada/Nabara/Hilux/
    *Engine performance wise = wasn't able to test drive the others so I can't compare.
    *Fuel consumption =Strada 3.2 12kms/liter Highway 10.5/Mixed

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    I really wonder why the SCTEX and NLEX have such a slow maximum speed regulation. 120Kph would be fine, but 100Kph is painfully slow specially on the straights (which is most of it).

Para di OT
    Engine performance (4x4)
    Responsiveness Ranger/Dmax/Navara/Hilux/Strada
    Torque availability Ranger/Hilux/Dmax/Strada/Navara
    Noise Navara/Strada/Ranger/Hilux/DMax (in reverse if you want to scare someone in front of you)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Great comparison: New hilux,Nissan Navara,Ford Ranger,L200,Dmax!!