New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post

But to answer the questions..the Mirage is a much more modern engine compared to the old Vios' engine that has been around since the 90s. A decade's worth of advancements surely helps both power and economy.
    A bit OT, but is the Vios' engine really that old? And it's related to the Corolla's engine as well. So Mitsu's 3A92 and 4A92 engines are more advanced that Toyota's ZZ engines?

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by b0y37 View Post
    A bit OT, but is the Vios' engine really that old? And it's related to the Corolla's engine as well. So Mitsu's 3A92 and 4A92 engines are more advanced that Toyota's ZZ engines?
    The 2NZ-FE was released in 1999 in the Toyota Echo.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

3. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Yun naman talaga yun, kung ano yung GUSTO.

Screw FC and screw everything else.

Get the Yaris and be happy with it.

the topic is about FC and I think most would agree with Mirage and Accent Diesel as a good benchmark, tapos Yaris and Vios pa rin naman pala yung gusto.

wala naman masama sa Yaris, it looks good kaso base on the topic of FC, i think from the previous generation na we can say vios and yaris is one of the top fuel efficient car, currently I think medyo bumaba na ranking nila kasi nasa taas na yung Mirage and Accent diesel,

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Yun naman talaga yun, kung ano yung GUSTO.

Screw FC and screw everything else.

Get the Yaris and be happy with it.
    I'll wait for the brio... baka maganda rin..

I runned down to 2 choices na lang,,, vios 1.3e or yaris 1.3.. tnx mga bossings.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chyll2 View Post
    the topic is about FC and I think most would agree with Mirage and Accent Diesel as a good benchmark, tapos Yaris and Vios pa rin naman pala yung gusto.

wala naman masama sa Yaris, it looks good kaso base on the topic of FC, i think from the previous generation na we can say vios and yaris is one of the top fuel efficient car, currently I think medyo bumaba na ranking nila kasi nasa taas na yung Mirage and Accent diesel,
    The new Vios/Yaris are somewhat disappointing when it comes to economy. In my driving, the Vios 1.5 manual was around the same as the Fiesta 1.5 automatic.

The problem is partially in the weight of the new car, partially in the drag of the powerful AC compressor, and partially in the design of the cooling system. The Vios' cooling system has always been marginal. In this generation, the radiator and single cooling fan are woefully under-specced for the size of the car. Smaller cars like the Mirage G4 can get away with small cooling systems... less weight and load on the engine... the Vios cannot. I noted in my back-to-back drive of the Vios and City for Top Gear (July issue) that the City had a much smaller grille, but suffered less from heat soak and excessive drag when the AC turned on... because it had a full-sized (dual row, too, I think) radiator with dual fans. As such, highway and city economy were much better.

When you have a small cooling system, your car can get up to temperature quickly, which is how the old Vios managed to be reasonably economical. But when the car heat soaks, the engine has to consume more gasoline to stay cool. I believe this is what might be happening. This also seems to be an issue with the Wigo AT. Have not driven the Wigo MT extensively, so I can't comment on it, though people are saying economy is decent, at least.

Funny story, I've heard that with the previous car, one taxi company found the best way to maintain reliability and economy with the Vios was to install an extra cooling fan on the radiator.

I still think the 1.3E MT Vios is a good car for the money, but if you've got a higher budget, I'd rather look at the City (bigger interior, and can actually do over 20 km/l with an automatic... and it's a 1.5!) or Accent. And if fuel economy and saving money is your only concern, the Mirage is still the best bet on the market.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The new Vios/Yaris are somewhat disappointing when it comes to economy. In my driving, the Vios 1.5 manual was around the same as the Fiesta 1.5 automatic.

The problem is partially in the weight of the new car, partially in the drag of the powerful AC compressor, and partially in the design of the cooling system. The Vios' cooling system has always been marginal. In this generation, the radiator and single cooling fan are woefully under-specced for the size of the car. Smaller cars like the Mirage G4 can get away with small cooling systems... less weight and load on the engine... the Vios cannot. I noted in my back-to-back drive of the Vios and City for Top Gear (July issue) that the City had a much smaller grille, but suffered less from heat soak and excessive drag when the AC turned on... because it had a full-sized (dual row, too, I think) radiator with dual fans. As such, highway and city economy were much better.

When you have a small cooling system, your car can get up to temperature quickly, which is how the old Vios managed to be reasonably economical. But when the car heat soaks, the engine has to consume more gasoline to stay cool. I believe this is what might be happening. This also seems to be an issue with the Wigo AT. Have not driven the Wigo MT extensively, so I can't comment on it, though people are saying economy is decent, at least.

Funny story, I've heard that with the previous car, one taxi company found the best way to maintain reliability and economy with the Vios was to install an extra cooling fan on the radiator.

I still think the 1.3E MT Vios is a good car for the money, but if you've got a higher budget, I'd rather look at the City (bigger interior, and can actually do over 20 km/l with an automatic... and it's a 1.5!) or Accent. And if fuel economy and saving money is your only concern, the Mirage is still the best bet on the market.
    This is totally new... thanks a lot... salesman would never reveal this..

I will find time to check the mirage.. and wait for the coming honda brio...

thanks for this info

7. Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Question about Hyundai atoz im planning to buy 1 for it will be my first car, meron pa ba mga parts nito? and di ba ako mamroblema sa kotse na ito? gusto ko lang kse tipid a gas pang araw araw and that's all, I choosing between wagon r and picante also, btw I preferred Automatic transmition with small displacement. Thanks in advance

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Or, keep the hood popped (open).... A lot of Vios taxis and even privately-owned ones are doing it!!! Deym!

“Familiarity breeds awe”
    23.8K:superhero:

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

Or, keep the hood popped (open).... A lot of Vios taxis and even privately-owned ones are doing it!!! Deym!

“Familiarity breeds awe”
    23.8K:superhero:
    Nope. Propping the hood only helps cool the car at a stop. When it's moving, propping the hood open creates a high pressure pocket behind the radiator as air comes in the top. This limits air flow through the radiator at speed.

If you're going to prop it open, better to prop up the rear of the hood. The high pressure pocket at the base of the windshield will keep flow from exiting there, but it will exit at the sides.

-

Personally, though, I would just do the extra fan. Put it on a temperature switch so it won't create extra load when not needed.

-

But for probinsyanos like me... the cooling system isn't all that big a deal... I'm hardly ever in traffic long enough for it to be a big deal.
    Last edited by niky; July 28th, 2014 at 10:18 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Personally, though, I would just do the extra fan. Put it on a temperature switch so it won't create extra load when not needed.
    You just gave me an idea. I'll consider adding a pusher fan to our daily drive.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast