New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Mga sir, need your advice.

I'm choosing between 2 4x2 SUV's. Ford Escape and CRV, 2nd hand lang, ha? can't afford brand new

I'm thinking of getting a 2nd hand 2008 4x2 CRV A/T. The owner is selling it to me at a price which I think is about P100t cheaper than the market price. The only catch is, ang taas ng mileage for a car that's only a year and half old. 70,000 kms. na ang mileage. Sulit pa ba bilhin?

Add to my dilemma is a Company is also offering me one of the cars of their execs who resigned. 2009 Escape, XLS A/T. This one's a whole lot cheaper than the CRV (about P100t less) and is about 20% cheaper than the market price and only has 12,000 sa mileage.

What to do?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by beastEK View Post
    Mga sir, need your advice.

I'm choosing between 2 4x2 SUV's. Ford Escape and CRV, 2nd hand lang, ha? can't afford brand new

I'm thinking of getting a 2nd hand 2008 4x2 CRV A/T. The owner is selling it to me at a price which I think is about P100t cheaper than the market price. The only catch is, ang taas ng mileage for a car that's only a year and half old. 70,000 kms. na ang mileage. Sulit pa ba bilhin?

Add to my dilemma is a Company is also offering me one of the cars of their execs who resigned. 2009 Escape, XLS A/T. This one's a whole lot cheaper than the CRV (about P100t less) and is about 20% cheaper than the market price and only has 12,000 sa mileage.

What to do?
    The 4x2 08 CR-V is much more economical than the Escape... and much, MUCH larger inside. Some feel it's too slow... because the gearing is long... but really... all you really need is for a vehicle to go forward when you press the gas pedal and to stop when you hit the brakes, right?

If it's 70,000 highway kilometers, then it won't present as much wear on the engine as 70,000 city kilometers. What's the route of the previous owner? Where did he live? At 100t below regular asking price, I think I could live with that... as long as there are still some kilometers left in the warranty.

On the Escape side... I've always felt that it rides more comfortably, it has more comfortable seats and better steering, and the 2.3 liter engine has decent punch, but the CR-V is a superior car in every other way.

Then again... 100,000 pesos is a heck of a lot of money...
    Last edited by niky; July 2nd, 2010 at 10:10 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    i would still go for the honda. check mo na lang service records/repairs kun napalitan na fluids(tranny, engine), belts, filters, brake pads, etc. pati suspension yun kasi una bumibigay. 70t KMS is still acceptable hanggang 150t naman ang engines ng honda depending on use

4. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymd View Post
    i would still go for the honda. check mo na lang service records/repairs kun napalitan na fluids(tranny, engine), belts, filters, brake pads, etc. pati suspension yun kasi una bumibigay. 70t KMS is still acceptable hanggang 150t naman ang engines ng honda depending on use
    70kms vs 12kms mileage. Escape for me. 2.3 vs 2.0 ba ang 2nd Gen na CRV? Even on HondaClub reklamo nila underpower yung 2.0 for CRV. Kung yung new CRV 2.4 ibang usapan na yan.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    I did all of the required due diligence checks on the service records of the CRV. Everything looks ok to me in terms of condition, only thing making me think twice is the high mileage.

Actually, I was already set on buying the CRV until I was offered the Escape. At P100T++ cheaper than the CRV and with decent mileage, it really made me think twice.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlestar View Post
    70kms vs 12kms mileage. Escape for me. 2.3 vs 2.0 ba ang 2nd Gen na CRV? Even on HondaClub reklamo nila underpower yung 2.0 for CRV. Kung yung new CRV 2.4 ibang usapan na yan.
    3rd Gen ung CRV bro, does that make any difference on your opinion?

7. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Then again... 100,000 pesos is a heck of a lot of money...
    I know. That and the mileage are the only things keeping me from making up my mind in getting the CRV. My previous car was an EK Honda, which I also got 2nd hand. I sold it recently at almost the same price I bought it for 5 years ago, which attests to Honda's re-sale value. Not too sure if the same can be said of the Escape, although I am getting it cheap, which should go a long way in terms of how much depreciation I suffer after 4 years of use.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    I would rather save the 100K for the maintenance of the Escape.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymd View Post

10. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    2008 model tapos 70k km na ang odo. parang everyday pagudpod iyan ah hehe. may naalala tuloy akong manong na nakausap ko, 2008 model Starex with a 300k mileage hehe, maganda pa rin naman ang takbo nung starex nila.

anyway, hindi gaanong deadly iyang mileage na iyan dahil purely highway obviously ang takbo niyan. yung engine, ok pa iyan basta regular ang maintenance nang crv. ang tingnan mo diyan, yung suspension nung CRV dahil malayo na ang mga narating nito. although, kahit ako mapapaisip pa rin hehe dahil nga mataas talaga ang mileage ni CRV. anyway, its your decision. baka I would opt for the Escape, maybe save my 100k for its maintenance.

pansin ko kasi ganito, just feel free to comment.. comparison of a city vs highway car.

city car - lower mileage yes, pero yung engine laspag na laspag because of manila traffic. suspensions mas tumatagal dahil nga siguro mabagal lang ang takbo dito sa city.

highway car - mileage is high, yup, pero pansin ko, parang banat na banat naman ang engine, kumbaga sanay sa ensayo hehe. suspensions, mas mabilis masira dahil nga kung mabilis ang takbo sa highway na hindi gaanong maganda ang road condition, mas nagsu-suffer ito.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Ford Escape v. Honda CRV