New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by portisiks View Post
    Salamat sa info sir,, pareho lang pala ng makina ung lovelife at bigbody. Anong year mode po ung picanto? Yan ba sir ung 2008 ba un?
    Yun nga sir, sobrang mura marami maayos pa kaso ung pyesa ata sa banawe pa mismo. Wala sa mga tabing suking tindahan. Salamat sir!

2. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Just sharing based on my own experiences with my own cars and friends' cars who seek my assistance when it comes to maintenance concerns:

Kahit anong second hand na bibilhin kailangan mo mag tabi ng extra para sa mga consumables or pagawain like upod na tires, suspension issues or even engine related expenses like oil changes or tune-ups. Kung max ka na sa 140k, AE101 na Corolla GLi ("big body" ang street mechanic term) ang safest choice mo. Mura ang parts and napakaraming OEM and replacements na available kahit saang lupalop ka pa and a lot are really cheap. Even surplus parts ang daming nagpasok dahil nga sa demand. Fuel efficiency of the 4AFE manual is better than it's carbed 1.3 2E XE/XL counterpart. First car mo kamo so ditch the matic lalo na't limited ang budget mo.

Why not the others mentioned?

Civic EG ESi - Rust. Mahirap rin makahanap ng unit na all original at hindi binarumbado ng previous owner.

Civic EK VTi or LXi na 96 to 99 models - I have friends who owned them and evident pa rin ang rust bulutong problems sa bubong and even sa fenders. One already replaced a roof cut TWICE dahil after more than a year, binulutong din yung naunang kapalit to the point that he already ditched it. Madami ring units na "SiR wannabees" ang mga previous owners if you know what I mean. Oh, I don't think your budget can afford even a badly beaten one since the fanboyism of Honda owners dictates its exagerratingly high resale value.

City EXi or LXi - good fuel efficiency pero mas mahal pa ring i-maintain compared sa AE101. Mas rare ang mga ibang consumables like suspension joints (velocity, ball, etc). Mas mahal din ang consumables like air cleaner elements. Had an uncle who owned one and ditched it for a Toyota after 5 years when the maintenance headaches started popping up one by one.

Lancer GSR - suspension issues shared with its four-door counterpart ("pizza pie lancer" sa mga street mechanics' lingo). Not that fuel efficient on both models which share the 4G92 engine, you'll see 5-6kms/liter in 10-20km/h traffic. Mahal engine parts. Consumables are also not too cheap compared to a Toyota.

Nissan Vanette - it's a really old model. Z20 Gas engine layout and engine bay design is so poor that it easily overheats especialy when subject to traffic. I previously bought one as a project/challenge and swapped a diesel engine in it for utility purposes. Sold it before my wife gave birth and the happy new owner bought it to the province and pinagkakitaan using the colorum method. As for the aircon, mahirap patinuin if you're not an experienced kutingtingero but once napatino, its airconditioning cannot be matched by any van of its size.

Nissan Sentra B14/Series 3 - A lot sell for a lot less than a Toyota and parts can be pretty reasonable if you know what you're doing and where you're acquiring your parts (not as plentiful and affordable than a toyota). Pretty good simple rear suspension setup compared to its predecessor B13 (LEC body as per street mechanics) that bottoms out when loaded or when aging. It can't match the fuel efficiency of the Toyota 4AFE but this one wins when it comes to engine longevity (I consider Nissan's GA engines as bulletproof ones). Cams are active-lubricated chain driven and unlike the Toyota which uses a timing belt. The B13 can match the toyota when it comes to fuel efficiency due to its lighter weight but it's a tad smaller and again, the rear suspension issue that comes with it.

Ford Lynx - good luck with parts. It's actually a Mazda in a Ford's clothing. It's easier to source parts for the older BG 323 (the one that was also used by taxis before) compared to the next gen "Familia" and the Lynx. Talo rin when it comes to fuel efficiency just like the B6 Mazda Familia and the design of the throttle body gets problematic with age since the MAF sensor is within the TB assembly. Common issue ang erratic idling. Even the servo's design sucks. If you're already happy with barely reaching 10kms/liter in the open highway, you still won't be happy because of your maintenance costs. As per the suspension, common kumalampag yung rear trailing arm stabilizer links.

AE111 "lovelife" - Mataas pa ang going prices ng mga 4AFE equipped models (GLi). Kahit yung late LE base model with a carbureted 2E 1.3 engine, power steering and mags, mataas pa rin and presyuhan as of writing. If you can stretch your budget a bit, the GLi should be your target. dual airbags, GOA unibody, easy maintenance just like the AE101. Can do 14-15kms/liter in the open highway if you average in the 80-100km/h zone.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by k0mpressor View Post
    Just sharing based on my own experiences with my own cars and friends' cars who seek my assistance when it comes to maintenance concerns:

Kahit anong second hand na bibilhin kailangan mo mag tabi ng extra para sa mga consumables or pagawain like upod na tires, suspension issues or even engine related expenses like oil changes or tune-ups. Kung max ka na sa 140k, AE101 na Corolla GLi ("big body" ang street mechanic term) ang safest choice mo. Mura ang parts and napakaraming OEM and replacements na available kahit saang lupalop ka pa and a lot are really cheap. Even surplus parts ang daming nagpasok dahil nga sa demand. Fuel efficiency of the 4AFE manual is better than it's carbed 1.3 2E XE/XL counterpart. First car mo kamo so ditch the matic lalo na't limited ang budget mo.

Why not the others mentioned?

Civic EG ESi - Rust. Mahirap rin makahanap ng unit na all original at hindi binarumbado ng previous owner.

Civic EK VTi or LXi na 96 to 99 models - I have friends who owned them and evident pa rin ang rust bulutong problems sa bubong and even sa fenders. One already replaced a roof cut TWICE dahil after more than a year, binulutong din yung naunang kapalit to the point that he already ditched it. Madami ring units na "SiR wannabees" ang mga previous owners if you know what I mean. Oh, I don't think your budget can afford even a badly beaten one since the fanboyism of Honda owners dictates its exagerratingly high resale value.

City EXi or LXi - good fuel efficiency pero mas mahal pa ring i-maintain compared sa AE101. Mas rare ang mga ibang consumables like suspension joints (velocity, ball, etc). Mas mahal din ang consumables like air cleaner elements. Had an uncle who owned one and ditched it for a Toyota after 5 years when the maintenance headaches started popping up one by one.

Lancer GSR - suspension issues shared with its four-door counterpart ("pizza pie lancer" sa mga street mechanics' lingo). Not that fuel efficient on both models which share the 4G92 engine, you'll see 5-6kms/liter in 10-20km/h traffic. Mahal engine parts. Consumables are also not too cheap compared to a Toyota.

Nissan Vanette - it's a really old model. Z20 Gas engine layout and engine bay design is so poor that it easily overheats especialy when subject to traffic. I previously bought one as a project/challenge and swapped a diesel engine in it for utility purposes. Sold it before my wife gave birth and the happy new owner bought it to the province and pinagkakitaan using the colorum method. As for the aircon, mahirap patinuin if you're not an experienced kutingtingero but once napatino, its airconditioning cannot be matched by any van of its size.

Nissan Sentra B14/Series 3 - A lot sell for a lot less than a Toyota and parts can be pretty reasonable if you know what you're doing and where you're acquiring your parts (not as plentiful and affordable than a toyota). Pretty good simple rear suspension setup compared to its predecessor B13 (LEC body as per street mechanics) that bottoms out when loaded or when aging. It can't match the fuel efficiency of the Toyota 4AFE but this one wins when it comes to engine longevity (I consider Nissan's GA engines as bulletproof ones). Cams are active-lubricated chain driven and unlike the Toyota which uses a timing belt. The B13 can match the toyota when it comes to fuel efficiency due to its lighter weight but it's a tad smaller and again, the rear suspension issue that comes with it.

Ford Lynx - good luck with parts. It's actually a Mazda in a Ford's clothing. It's easier to source parts for the older BG 323 (the one that was also used by taxis before) compared to the next gen "Familia" and the Lynx. Talo rin when it comes to fuel efficiency just like the B6 Mazda Familia and the design of the throttle body gets problematic with age since the MAF sensor is within the TB assembly. Common issue ang erratic idling. Even the servo's design sucks. If you're already happy with barely reaching 10kms/liter in the open highway, you still won't be happy because of your maintenance costs. As per the suspension, common kumalampag yung rear trailing arm stabilizer links.

AE111 "lovelife" - Mataas pa ang going prices ng mga 4AFE equipped models (GLi). Kahit yung late LE base model with a carbureted 2E 1.3 engine, power steering and mags, mataas pa rin and presyuhan as of writing. If you can stretch your budget a bit, the GLi should be your target. dual airbags, GOA unibody, easy maintenance just like the AE101. Can do 14-15kms/liter in the open highway if you average in the 80-100km/h zone.
    Salamat ng marami dito sir! Nuff said. I guess it all boils sa budget. Matagal pa naman sana mastretch kahit papano. Yes may itatabi naman sa repairs, kung kaya nga lang ng brand new e di ok na. Kaso madaming masasagasaan na allocation kaya eto 2nd hand. At least may liwanag na sa choices ngayon hehe salamat sir sa mga inputs. Yung ibang viewers ng thread salamat din baka may idagdag pa kayo ok lang.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by boy astig View Post
    yng pang ilalim ng 96-99 models (civic) share the same parts as the pizza pie lancer. So maintenance would be cheaper.
    First time I heard this. Any proof to this claim? As far as I know Mitsubishi and Honda didn't have any joint ventures.

We had an EK Civic before, my aunt had a pizza Lancer, and they never felt any bit similar. For one, the Civic had wishbone suspension, while the Lancer had MacPhersons. Dun pa lang iba na. What pang ilalim are you talking about specifically?

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    To the TS - if you don't have 200k to spend for the car, don't buy a 140k car. Chances are kakapusin ka lang sa repairs and other costs related to car ownership.

I was looking for 90s sedans a few weeks back. Lahat ng tiningnan ko ang daming sakit sa ulo.

If I had an AE101 in mint condition I wouldn't sell it for 140k. Probably 170k. Even then there might still be minor repairs. Better to have 200k liquid, tapos kung hindi maubos edi good but better safe than sorry.

6. Join Date
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    First time I heard this. Any proof to this claim? As far as I know Mitsubishi and Honda didn't have any joint ventures.

We had an EK Civic before, my aunt had a pizza Lancer, and they never felt any bit similar. For one, the Civic had wishbone suspension, while the Lancer had MacPhersons. Dun pa lang iba na. What pang ilalim are you talking about specifically?

Ball joints, velocity shaft (or joints ?), trailing arms and almost all the bushings. It was the experienced mechanic of the gas station that pointed this out to me. Going back in time, parang yng brake system ng 123 body na benz and yng toyota crown. Interchangable yng parts but both companies never had a joint project during those times.

Pa OT po mods:

My friend and I will be restoring a 1987 honda prelude (JDM converted) next year. Frankenstein yng pang ilalim nun, as in parts from kia carnival (i think gen 2), honda accord 1997 model, and honda accord 2000 model. That was before the engine conked out early this year. But it never gave us problems when we took it for a long drives. B20 engine po nya. Biggest problem now are the shock absorbers as in wala talagang makuha na kasukat. So, have to source it overseas

7. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    To the TS - if you don't have 200k to spend for the car, don't buy a 140k car. Chances are kakapusin ka lang sa repairs and other costs related to car ownership.

I was looking for 90s sedans a few weeks back. Lahat ng tiningnan ko ang daming sakit sa ulo.

If I had an AE101 in mint condition I wouldn't sell it for 140k. Probably 170k. Even then there might still be minor repairs. Better to have 200k liquid, tapos kung hindi maubos edi good but better safe than sorry.

Salamat sir sa advice! sana mastretch ung budget, early next year pa naman mas maganda na siguro ung makabasa ng ibat ibang opinion,.yung mga pangilalim po ba at mga kalampag mga nasa magkanong range kadalasan ang gagastusin dun kung palitan mga basic dun? And how about radiator, pag nagpaoverhaul nun and hoses how much po iyong estimate nun? Sa mga pangkaraniwang sedan na presyo lang po para may idea. Salamat!

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008

maybe he's talking about the small pieces... the ends, ball joints, tie rods... and maybe he's refering to 555 pieces, not original branded pieces..
    "boss, pahingi nga ng tie rod ends.. lancer.. kaliwa."
    "heto pare.. ganyang ganyan din ang binibigay namin sa honda.. sintibay na ng orig..mura pa.."
    "talagah..!"

9. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Mga sir ung nissan sentra ex 1997 model Best buy pa din ba un? Salamat!

10. Join Date
    Oct 2014
    first to consider which brand which can give you younger model. for sure the option will be nissan sentra and mitsu lancer. dahil mababa resale value nila pero matibay. then look for stock car and no overheat history.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
First car. Second hand. Help me choose. Mitsubishi lancer gsr, honda esi or city mayb