New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Hey guys! I just recently discovered tsikot and man what a great online community you have here!

I would like to get your inputs on the best value-for-money 2.0L SUV to buy, given my P1.1 M budget (max). Our company's car plan has just been upgraded so I think it's about time to replace my good old Vios. After shopping around various car dealers in the metro, I only have 3 options given my budget (i think):

> Ford Escape (P1.050M) -- although i heard a lot about it being 'gas-guzzling'... is this true?
    > Hyundai Tucson -- their new model is really wow! its very affordable price is also a plus factor (P1.038 for the GL) but is it really too good to be true?
    > X-Trail (P1.084M) -- i like its no-nonsense features but my wife feels that its too manly for her taste. i heard they're coming out with a new model this year but this is only for their 2.5L variant (so that's out of my budget)

Here are the factors that I'm considering:
    1. Should be powerful enough to withstand the daily Antipolo-Ortigas-Antipolo grind. Dapat talaga malakas ang hatak to climb the hilly slopes of Antipolo
    2. Fuel efficient
    3. Nice comfortableride for me and my family (I'm a new dad with a 5-month old baby, btw)
    4. Nice exteriors and interiors are a plus

What do you guys think?? I also like the Mazda CX-7 and the CR-V but it's really beyond my budget.

Would really appreciate all your comments! TIA!!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    I have the Escape and X-trail and the X-trail rides and drives better. I haven't tried the new Tucson yet so I can't comment but I believe all 3 of them will have no problem with your route. The FC of X-trail and Escape is around 7-8km/L depending on traffic. But I'm guessing this is the average for almost all SUVs with gas engines. Reliability wise, my Escape has 92K km and my Xtrail has 73K km and so far no major problems. Just follow the regular PMS of 10km and you'll be fine.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the inputs, sachiel!

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    No prob!

But I suggest you test drive all these models first before you buy. You are the only one capable of deciding what ticks your clock.=)

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    to the TS,

there's a thread here in tsikot dedicated to the problems of the new hyundai tucson... which seems to be quite numerous.

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66521

you should check it out before heading off to get one.

the escape and the xtrail are already proven platforms with lots of consumer experience

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    double post
    Last edited by renzo_d10; June 8th, 2010 at 09:16 PM.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Xtrail, Escape, Tucson.

I find the Xtrail nice despite it's old age especially if it's white. Dunno, really why ... but it's appealing, really. Been seeing brand new xtrails around, and yes ... it never failed to catch my attention.

The reason why the iX is in the last place is because it's just the base model, so yeah.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    Xtrail, Escape, Tucson.

I find the Xtrail nice despite it's old age especially if it's white. Dunno, really why ... but it's appealing, really. Been seeing brand new xtrails around, and yes ... it never failed to catch my attention.

The reason why the iX is in the last place is because it's just the base model, so yeah.
    agree with both of those, i like the xtrail especially in black.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    i would go for Escape then X-Trail. Tucson never, base model eh overpriced pah.

escape over xtrail bec. of the looks. and i think they're now offering 5 years warranty na accdg. to the promo 3 yrs + 2 yrs. yan lang naman advantage ng hyundai eh meron na din kaya ford.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Thanks, you guys! It looks like a battle between Escape and Tucson. I'm just concerned though that the design of both models have been around for quite some time already? Nissan, for instance, will be releasing their 2010 X-trail on June 12 but for the 2.5L variant only while the 2.0L will still carry the old design. Sayang naman baka maglabas ng bagong model eh biglang naluma yung sa'akin...hehe! what do you think?

BTW, any Tucson lovers out there? Am I just being swayed because of its good looks?

TiA!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Escape vs Tucson vs X-Trail