New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    I'm really contemplating of getting my 1st car under my name sometime soon, though our family has got other cars as well. And ever since my toddler days, i've really been fascinated with mercedes benz (because of one of our family-friends who used to have a W115 240D if my memory serves me right,) i thought of buying a classic one, konting ipon na lang talaga then i'll start to scout for one on a serious note.

suppose that i found a 230E with a W123 body and a 230E with a W124 body, which between the two is the better pick in terms of FC, and sufficiency of parts? Technology comes 2nd though I know that W124 is the more modern one between these two "German Diplomats."

TIA

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    W124 is much better compared to W123, parts availability is almost the same as W123. Best to get the updated 1994-1995 W124 E220.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    W124 na bro. IMHO sobrang luma na ang W123. A newer car would also mean lesser headaches. A post facelift E220 would indeed be nice, or perhaps you would like to opt for a diesel instead. An E300 6 cylinder turbo diesel would be a thrifty and powerful Euro sedan.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Best to check first with the MB guys such as those on MB Club Philippines. Those who have actual experience in maintaining these models so they can lead you one what to avoid and what to look at when selecting your options.

Newer doesn't always necessarily mean better. A lot will also depend on how the previous owner cared for his ride. I understand the consumable parts (regular service parts) on EU vehicles are affordable if you know where to buy but trim parts and major repair parts may be costlier to obtain versus your usual popular Jap model. My take is to have this as a second car while you're working on it and familiarizing yourself on it.

Take a look at several models and units and choose what you find to be in the best condition and what you feel is for you. Personally, kung W123, maganda if you can find a coupe version while on the W124, the turbo diesel 250TE or 300TE (estate models) are my personal favorites. I almost bought a 1990 300TE Turbo diesel before. Di lang kami nagkaayos on the selling price.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    BTW, I'm in my late 20s, still single (as in sobrang single) :D and I'll get my 1st classic MB as my 1st car that would be registered under my name. Nakakasawa na kasi ang mga brand new cars bilang sukatan ng achievement ng isang yuppy like me that's why I opted for a classic MB.

(This post might help...)

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    I'm a 123 and 124 owner here, its really a matter of preference kung 123 o 124, kung sa tibay ang paguusapan, my vote goes to the 123 pero I'm not saying na ang 124 sirain. One advantage ng 124 sa 123 eh hindi masyado kalawangin ang kaha. In terms of fuel efficiency, the 124 has a slight edge, parts availability, 124 ang lamang dyan.

If you want classic old school styling then the 123 is for you, pero if you want something na medyo modern ang dating then the 124 is the way to go. Pero more than anything else, bilihin mo yung pinakasariwa ang condition.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    W124 is much better compared to W123, parts availability is almost the same as W123. Best to get the updated 1994-1995 W124 E220.
    Mas madali na ngayon maghanap ng parts ng 124 kesa 123, actually the E220 is to be avoided unless the wiring harness has been replaced.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    The E300 Diesel is one of the best 124 especially in wagon form. Luma nga yung 123 pero kung naayos naman ng mabuti eh astig tignan yan sa daan.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Since you're in your late 20s, my call is for you to get the 124... The youngest 123s are almost as old as you and finding a maintained/restored/kept 123 is not for the fainthearted unles you stumble upon a member of the MBCP...

Remember: "Nothing is more expensive than a cheap Mercedes..."

10. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Sir Ron,

I've read on another thread that you've tried driving on the road to Tagaytay-Talisay which is crooked enough to say that it's a tough road, which would be the better car between these 2 body-types? Is the W124 already running on a 5-speed M/T? I also asked these questions because we have a place there and I haven't seen a W123 on that road in the recent years.

Doc G,

Thanks! That statement "The Cheapest Benz (...)" really lingers on my mind. I know that most W123 are older than me. In fact, I think not a single W123 is as old as I am. I'm just fascinated with a W123 because of its timeless appeal but the W124 looks more appropriate for my age.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
battle of mercedes benz