New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Hello Everyone, I am kind of new to the Philippines. I say kind of because I have been here off and on for the past 5 years. Now I live here permanently. Coming from the US it is very difficult for me to be without a car. It is difficult for us Americans because the cars here are so much more expensive than in the US. I have been told a number of times that I should check out the auctions at the Subic Bay Freeport zone. I have done a lot of google searching about this subject but keep coming up short on specific information.
    Anyone here know the details of (where to go and how to do it) buying a car this way? Any good and inexpensive hotels in that area would be nice info as well.
    Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I'm afraid bro subic bay is no longer authorized to import vehicles, sta. ana cagayan is the new venue. But there are dealers in manila you can purchase from instead of going all the way to cagayan. I search around manila you ca find one, to know weather its fro there, their plates start with Bxx-xxx. What are you looking for, gas or diesel?

Quote Originally Posted by Hosea View Post
    Hello Everyone, I am kind of new to the Philippines. I say kind of because I have been here off and on for the past 5 years. Now I live here permanently. Coming from the US it is very difficult for me to be without a car. It is difficult for us Americans because the cars here are so much more expensive than in the US. I have been told a number of times that I should check out the auctions at the Subic Bay Freeport zone. I have done a lot of google searching about this subject but keep coming up short on specific information.
    Anyone here know the details of (where to go and how to do it) buying a car this way? Any good and inexpensive hotels in that area would be nice info as well.
    Thanks!

3. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Thanks bro,
    That is the kind of reply I was looking for. Believe it or not depending on where it the world you are from people process information differently. Not judging which is right or wrong, proper or improper, it is just different. I do have some difficulty with this although I am understanding more as time goes by. This will impact purchasing a car. My wife won't even let me go to the market with her because of the response we get from the merchants. Everyone here thinks all of us Americans are rich. Sure I have more than most where I live but in American standards, I am at poverty level. Still, we want a good and reliable car. I don't want to be breaking down anywhere away from home if possible.

All that said, my first choice for an automobile was a small 4 door 4x4 pickup truck (Hilux....) or something like that. A pastor friend warned me that getting something as flashy as a new Hilux could be a problem as far as someone wanting to take it from me with me in it or not. I understand that and can appreciate where he is coming from. I don't want to draw any undue attention.

Then I thought I would be ok with a nice mini van or suv. Preferably a little higher off the ground because we live in an area where the roads aren't so good.

I am so frustrated with the difference in auto prices between here and the US, I would even consider something the size of the new larger size taxis here. The car I sold before moving here last year was a Mercedes C230 sports coupe. Although I loved driving that car, it was way too small for us. I have a three year old, 17 year old, me and my wife. It was very difficult getting a baby into her car seat.

Bottom line: I'm kind of flexible. Most important is that the car is reliable and safe. Oh yeah, it must be an automatic. I did that standard stuff in my youth. It was fun but I just don't enjoy all that extra work anymore. Also I don't mind traveling. I haven't seem much of the Philippines and don't mind flying up to Manila to find a good car and maybe have someone drive us back to Davao. As long as we get a trusted driver, I think it would be a nice adventure and way to see the Philippines. Don't think I mentioned it but I trust dealer less than I trust buying from strangers (private owners). Not to say I trust anyone, but you can only do your best.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Welcome to tsikot, sir!

you might want to consider getting a local secondhand car

most surplus imports are converted from RHD to LHD, and the quality of conversion varies

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Just my opinion its better to buy a second hand Toyota hilux local version . Its safe and no problem with vehicle registration document.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    first of all, welcome sir.

usually, imported vehicles are converted from left hand drive to right hand drive and sometimes conversions tend to have mistakes that could also lead to pricey repairs, however there are some lucky owners that are contented with their imported vehicles, like user testament11. As they say, it's better if you opt for original LHD vehicles, and mostly they are local.

If you still decided on imported vehicles, if i may suggest it would be the nissan elgrand, it has a big space yet it's very cheap because it's imported and converted.

i really dont know the steps in buying imp'd vehicles, since i haven't experienced driving/owning one, so maybe the steps in buying one would be coming from the owners of such vehicles.

if you don't mind sir, how much is your maximum budget ? a local pajero or nissan patrol might fit your budget or the ford expedition, or the ford escape as well.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Why not try looking at the AUV class of vehicles?

Example: Toyota INNOVA. Available in gas and diesel variants. Definitely rides better than a pickup and has the space to haul either lots of people or lots of cargo or a mix of both.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Sir, You're from davao, if you prefer surplus or converted vehicles take a look at the displays at Genesis88 or at JAPPS. JAPPS is located at quimpo boulevard fronting SM Mall, they sell Converted Pajero CK body. Genesis88 is beside Ecoland 4000 Condominiums, they sell a lot of imported converted or non converted cars. They have Lexus, BMW, Mercedes Benz, JDM Converted Pajero, Trooper, Fit etc. and there are also a lot of used car dealers (non converted, local units) around the city. There's one along quirino ave. and there are i guess 2 or 3 along JP Laurel Ave.

Happy Hunting!

9. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    I did the used car thing as a young man because I didn't have the funds to get a new one. Later in life I was able to buy new and did that a few times. Now that I am older and retired, I don't feel a need to buy new if I don't have to. At this point in life it seems more important to hang onto as much of my money as possible. I just want a reliable car or truck. After driving both right and left side everyday for the last 30 years, I don't mind either. In fact, I find driving on the right side easier. I will check out the locations Jason mentioned here in Davao but I like to check out as many avenues as possible. I still want to check out the auctions.

I don't know that many 1995 cars that would sell for what people here are asking for them. No 1995 pickup is worth P250,000 or more in the US. That said, I know I am not in the US anymore but I don't intend on giving into any price until I understand as much of the current situation as possible. I really don't want to spend more than P100,000 but I may go up to P300,000 if I have to.

Isn't that Toyota Innova that crossover the taxis are driving? That is too cheaply made for me if that is the same vehicle.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosea View Post
    Isn't that Toyota Innova that crossover the taxis are driving? That is too cheaply made for me if that is the same vehicle.
    The Toyota Avanza is the vehicle you might be referring to that looks light and "cheap". The avanza is powered either by a 1.3 or 1.5L gasoline engine.

The Innova is a bigger vehicle using either a 2.0 gas or a 2.5 diesel engine. The chassis is based similar to the current Toyota Hilux and Fortuner. The Innova comes in very many trim levels as you can check in the pricelist link below.

Toyota Pricelist:
    http://www.auto-searchphilippines.co...PriceList.html

INNOVA

Innova Specs: http://www.auto-searchphilippines.co...taInnovaV.html

AVANZA

Avanza Specs: http://www.auto-searchphilippines.com/ToyotaAvanza.html

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Auctions in Subic Bay Freeport