New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Given that your budget is from 100-300K, i'd say your choices are pretty limited. Especially if you eyeing light trucks and suv, maybe a local 98-99 hyundai starex van(in the high 300K mark)will fit your bill. Most of its parts are shared with mitsubishi like its diesel engine, it has a chassis like a pick-up truck, and good room inside. I would recommend also you have your car to be tinted dark, for your security woes...

Resale value here in the P.I. tend to be more higher because of the higher brand new price due to taxes. You maybe referring to the tamaraw fx's, revo's, crosswind/hi-landers and adventures. But as experience proves these utility vehicles are very well suited to Philippine driving conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosea View Post
    I did the used car thing as a young man because I didn't have the funds to get a new one. Later in life I was able to buy new and did that a few times. Now that I am older and retired, I don't feel a need to buy new if I don't have to. At this point in life it seems more important to hang onto as much of my money as possible. I just want a reliable car or truck. After driving both right and left side everyday for the last 30 years, I don't mind either. In fact, I find driving on the right side easier. I will check out the locations Jason mentioned here in Davao but I like to check out as many avenues as possible. I still want to check out the auctions.

I don't know that many 1995 cars that would sell for what people here are asking for them. No 1995 pickup is worth P250,000 or more in the US. That said, I know I am not in the US anymore but I don't intend on giving into any price until I understand as much of the current situation as possible. I really don't want to spend more than P100,000 but I may go up to P300,000 if I have to.

Isn't that Toyota Innova that crossover the taxis are driving? That is too cheaply made for me if that is the same vehicle.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    I just want a reliable car or truck. After driving both right and left side everyday for the last 30 years, I don't mind either. In fact, I find driving on the right side easier. I will check out the locations Jason mentioned here in Davao but I like to check out as many avenues as possible. I still want to check out the auctions.
    If you have a choice, go for an originally LHD vehicle.

The worksmanship on some converted vehicles are questionable, and as renzo has mentioned, these could lead to expensive repairs in the long run. There might also be some problems in sourcing parts for such vehicles.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quite true, if the TS goes for an import. He may as well find one the was sold locally, so the parts availability wont be that much of a problem. Like pajero, terrano, hi-ace, trooper(big-horn), and others. A reliable mechanic that wont be bribed by the seller come inspection time would be very much needed...

Quote Originally Posted by scharnhorst View Post
    If you have a choice, go for an originally LHD vehicle.

The worksmanship on some converted vehicles are questionable, and as renzo has mentioned, these could lead to expensive repairs in the long run. There might also be some problems in sourcing parts for such vehicles.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    binida pa ako ni renzo, naman oh...

anyway, welcome to tsikot and here to the philippines sir. if you have a budget of 100-300k only, i'm afraid you might end up purchasing a 2nd hand converted 3 door pajero. also, you can buy a 1st generation starex, which is a big vehicle that can haul at least 9 persons. don't worry on the starex, though its big, it still comes with an automatic transmission. a 2nd hand pick up is good, like the nissan eagle but it sells too high here. i found one that sells at 350k.

if you, sir, willing to take a gamble on converted vehicles (RHD to LHD), please choose a vehicle with a local counterpart of it. some good examples are the pajero and big horn (locally known as trooper).

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    ^ ganda naman kasi ng experience mo sa converted paj eh. hehehehe

since the ts wants a big vehicle, then he cannot go for a sedan, so ... *hosea, like what test11 has mentioned, you might be ending up with a 3-door paj which is pretty good too except for it's only 3 doors though.

*hosea :: if you could extend your budget sir to atleast 500k or 450k then you might be ending up to much better local/imported vehicles, that's only if you're still willing to spend that much of money.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    The information you guys have provided here has been very helpful. I wasn't aware so many of the cars here has their steering column changed out. As I have said, it is not necessary for me to have a big automobile but I don't want a subcompact at all. Many of the brands mentioned are not in the US so I am having to check them out. One thing I am concerned about is the US is very strict with safety regulations. Many car models don't make it to the US because they can't meet those standards. The most important seems to be crush zones. Ever seen the Chinese crash test on youtube?

I was told by one of the old guys here that buying from the auctions can save me half of what is being asked for by dealers and private owners. That kind of info begs to be checked out. As I said earlier, making payments on a car is just not what I want to do anymore. I'm not working anymore and want to use my money for other things. $6,000 for a car is just not what I want to do.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Based on the specs you want from your car, i think you might have a hard time getting one that'll fit your given budget. Imported cars are 80% converted from RHD to LHD, and cars below $6,000 are circa 90's. meaning no airbags, most probably have different interpretation of U.S. safety regulations. I'm afraid you are on a market of high resale value cars as compared to the states and you'll have to stretch it...

The information you guys have provided here has been very helpful. I wasn't aware so many of the cars here has their steering column changed out. As I have said, it is not necessary for me to have a big automobile but I don't want a subcompact at all. Many of the brands mentioned are not in the US so I am having to check them out. One thing I am concerned about is the US is very strict with safety regulations. Many car models don't make it to the US because they can't meet those standards. The most important seems to be crush zones. Ever seen the Chinese crash test on youtube?

I was told by one of the old guys here that buying from the auctions can save me half of what is being asked for by dealers and private owners. That kind of info begs to be checked out. As I said earlier, making payments on a car is just not what I want to do anymore. I'm not working anymore and want to use my money for other things. $6,000 for a car is just not what I want to do.
    Last edited by blue_gambit; April 3rd, 2010 at 01:48 PM. Reason: add

8. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    I was told by one of the old guys here that buying from the auctions can save me half of what is being asked for by dealers and private owners. That kind of info begs to be checked out. As I said earlier, making payments on a car is just not what I want to do anymore.
    Welcome to tsikot.

Thats true, buying directly from an auction will come out cheaper even if you spend some more for reconditioning/repairing the car plus the freight cost from luzon to davao.

I knew someone from davao, who specifically travels to subic from time to time to attend auctions for farm trucks and heavy equipments for the plantation.

I guess you have to be there in subic to find it out yourself. And like what the other forumer mentioned, dont forget to go sidetripping to Cagayan valley, you may find cheaper imported cars in there.

Good Luck! Just do it!

9. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Hosea,

Sent you private mail.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by admiral88 View Post
    Welcome to tsikot.

Thats true, buying directly from an auction will come out cheaper even if you spend some more for reconditioning/repairing the car plus the freight cost from luzon to davao.

I knew someone from davao, who specifically travels to subic from time to time to attend auctions for farm trucks and heavy equipments for the plantation.

I guess you have to be there in subic to find it out yourself. And like what the other forumer mentioned, dont forget to go sidetripping to Cagayan valley, you may find cheaper imported cars in there.

Good Luck! Just do it!
    Now this is what I was told about and looking for. Still, I don't know the Philippines very well yet and need more specific information on a starting point. I see there is an international airport in or around Subic Bay Freeport. I figured I would start my investigation there. Inexpensive hotels but safe and well maintained would be a good jumping off place to start.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Auctions in Subic Bay Freeport