New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2004
    Im planning to buy a ford lynx gsi 2000-01 model. I saw it ranges from 240 to 280 in the market. I heard this model are hard to maintain... is it true? And I also saw in one of the news that Ford will stop making Lynx in the Philippines... does this have an effect? your inputs are appreciated.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Meron pa bang Lynx? Hindi ba pinalitan na ito ng ford focus?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i think he's talking about a 2nd hand lynx. and yes, you are correct, the focus has replaced the lynx.

calling niky.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    I see, well, for the price ok naman yung Ford Lynx. Mababa lang nga resale value nya, parang sentra.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    mukhang ok naman lynx. dami na din nyan parts so madali na for repairs. basta bro sundin lang ang mga steps sa tamang pagbili ng second hand. kung maalaga yung dating may ari, ok yan. kahit ano pa brand yan. hanapin mo na lang yung thread about the things to consider when buying a pre-owned vehicle. goodluck bro!

7. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    i like the Lynx....baba lang resale...i think, maintaining a Lynx is like maintaining a Mazda sedan.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The reported sensor problems of the old Lynxes don't affect all owners... only some of them.

The biggest problem, the Cam Position Sensor, only acts up in exceptionally hot conditions, if at all, but my clubmates report that these problems don't appear to plague late model Lynx owners (2002-2005). Which means that if the previous owner has already had it fixed, it should be okay.

It seems to happen to owners around 30k-50k, I think. It manifests itself by sudden unexplained stalling. After a few minutes, the car will work normally again. This happens because the sensor overheats in heavy traffic or long hot running.

The piece itself costs under 5000 pesos at the Ford Dealership, including installation, so it's not an especially big problem.

The MAF sensor of the Lynx is kind of sensitive, just like on the Sentra. Just give it a good spraying of electrical contact cleaner if it acts up. It's only been reported to act up when you use certain aftermarket air filters (such as Simota) or when installing the Khaos Super Turbo Charger. Malfunctions from air filter installations are only temporary, happening during hard running, and can be avoided by insulating your sensor with aircon insulation (the silver covered foam you can buy at ACE). Malfunctions due to use of Khaos, are sadly, permanent, and require replacement of the sensor.

In fact, it's a good idea to wrap all engine bay electronics with insulation, as it prolongs their life. Especially the Cam sensor. This is what they do at the Tuason Racing School for their Lynx Cup cars after they started having sensor problems during races (because of the in-bay airfilter and the custom headers, the engine bay gets very VERY hot... and since they've done that, they've never had any problems.

Suspension and shocks can be found at Banawe, no problem. They're not any more expensive than for any other car. The Lynx has a reputation for kalampag, but that's mostly because it's very stiff (which is why it handles very well) and it's not really a problem.

The GSi is MT only, right? I don't recommend any old Mazda/Ford with ATs, as these can be a problem when they get old (heck, that's true of any old Japanese car) depending on how well/badly maintained they are. Besides, the Lynx 1.6 AT gets pretty bad fuel consumption (though not as bad as the Optra 1.6 AT, it's reputed to be horrid, nonetheless). The MT should give you no problems.

So, check that everything is in working order, make sure the car runs well in traffic, and you won't have any problems with a secondhand Lynx. Just set P5,000 pesos aside for a possible CPS problem (but don't worry, many people don't experience it), wrap everything electrical in some AC insulation, and enjoy the ride.
    Last edited by niky; February 9th, 2006 at 12:37 PM.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by city
    calling niky.
    Ehehe... siyempre, official Fordclub representative ako...

I wish...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Niky, GSis are also available in AT.

my only complaint about Mazda/Ford AT was the shift shock...after getting past that, wala na...everything was working perfectly.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
2nd hand Ford Lynx still a good buy?