New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    Fuso Canter FE

vs.

Both are SRP : Php 1,120,000

Intended use: Enclosed delivery van for transporting dry goods, mostly through the highways within and outside perimeter of Metro Manila.

Average annual mileage use: Bet. 12,000 - 15,000 kms per year.

Some random thoughts:

-Canter has obviously the fresher design and ergonomics.

-Isuzu is the #1 seller in the segment for the year 2011.

-Isuzu has supposed the "best" engine. Not sure this refers to performance, maintenance or reliability, or all?

-Isuzu's cab design is more than 6 years old!

-Mitusibishi might hold another trade-in promo this year (like May of last year). If they do, I can trade-in a well-worn L300 delivery van for the Canter.

-Based on OTEP's review of the i-van (which is based on a NHR cab chassis), isuzu vans seem to perform badly in terms of driveability.

So, Which one is better?

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Well that is because the all new N-series trucks have already been making waves elsewhere for quite some time now. And as always, we get the old crap that Isuzu sends us here. But then, their trucks are really and truly tough as seen by the huge population of Isuzu trucks on the road, be they locally purchased or Japan surplus. I've read bro OTEP's review of the i-Van. Most of his peeves with it were about the poor quality of the passenger cabin of the i-Van, poor braking performance (since the NHR was not designed to be a passenger van at the first place), and rather underpowered engine (pickup truck engine for a truck?!). These however do not apply with your requirements. The 4.6L 4HG1-T engine is an excellent one. Parts are also very easy to find and do not cost much. And it is common knowledge among truckers that Isuzu parts are easier to source and often cheaper than Mitsubishi/Fuso parts.

If compared to the Canter, the NKR, having the bigger engine (4.6L vs. 3.9L) obviously has more power. But I do not know how much this will affect the gas mileage of the truck. So I suppose I'll just put it this way. If you carry heavy loads and power is very important for you, then get the NKR. If you intend to drive the truck personally and/or value fuel efficiency, you may appreciate the more user friendly Canter more.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Kung parehas brand new sa Fuso ako kahit mas malakas yung isuzu dahil malaki ang makina, lumang cab na talaga yang sa isuzu, mas convinient din yung canter yung kambyo nasa dashboard, yung latest model yata ngayon isuzu reward na hindi isuzu elf

4. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    We got a local nkr years back, yes its still alive after 2 major engine overhual, 5 or more times starter problem and their rear cab which i dont know who is there subcon is...... It sucks big time. Almost yearly we have to have it body repaired and repainted.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Havent tried the mitsu yet on the road but ergonomics wise, the controls are easier to reach and use and the driving position is more comfy.

Headlamps of the isuzu are pitifully useless at night especially at expressway speeds. No idea on the mitsu. Being able to see where you are going is part of safety.

Plastic bumper of the isuzu allows it to regenerate after minor hits. Also tends to inflict less damage on what you hit. Motsu metal bumper is flimsy and once hit, is already dented.

Will the isuzu come with a radio also? At least something to listen to instead of just falling asleep. The mitsu has basic audio.

Mitsu glove box is a joke. Its more of a mail slot. Hehe.

Afaik, both are already tilt cabs so thats good.

Have you tried looking at the toyota hino 300 too?

Isuzu rear bodies are made by Centro if you buy from the dealer.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KIANTOT View Post
    Kung parehas brand new sa Fuso ako kahit mas malakas yung isuzu dahil malaki ang makina, lumang cab na talaga yang sa isuzu, mas convinient din yung canter yung kambyo nasa dashboard, yung latest model yata ngayon isuzu reward na hindi isuzu elf
    If brand new, Fuso din ako. Based sa experience namin mas matibay mitsu engine. Bihira lang talaga parts kaya mas madali maintenance ng isuzu. Although nasa MM ka so parts won't be an issue.

But given the chance to buy brandnew, Mitsu din kami. Good luck TS. Both are reliable vehicles naman.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Canter

Isuzu isnt taken seriously in Japan. Dito lang naman sikat ang Isuzu

Isuzu sells us old stuff knowing pinoys will buy anything Isuzu. They must be very happy there's a market like the Phils.

Fuso mas matibay

8. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Go with Mitsu-Fuso, the 4D34 is proven to be robust same with the old reliable 4D30, 4D32 & 4D33.
    My father has shifted to Mitsu-Fuso since it perform better than Isuzu in construction & hauling business.
    Try to get inside the cockpit of the SUPERGREAT & say goodbye to GIGA.

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    Am I right to assume Isuzu engines are easier to maintain bec. of abundance of parts? If its an abundance of surplus or replacement engine parts, I try to avoid these anyway.

Mitsubishi also has independent genuine parts like El Dorado.

The guy that repairs our fleet says to get Isuzu bec. its "better" and easier to repair, etc..

Actually, the NHR 4JB-1 fits our load requirements. But became more concerned with the Isuzu engine 4JB-1 after reading OTEP's review of it being short on power. Hence the need to upgrade to a NKR w/ 4HG1-T. NHR and NKR are the same chassis and everything. They differ in the engine options.

The problem with Canter is that not alot of people know or consider it as a workhorse in the same light as Isuzu.

If you pass by Union Motors OTIS, you will see parked outside are 10+ Canters for delivery to customers. At times, this occurs on a monthly basis. That's why when I read about Isuzu topping the sales charts for 2011, I was surprised bec. I hardly any see any brand new NKR, NHR, on the road. Yes, 2003-2009, there is a lot of them on the road.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Canter ako given na brand new parehas.

sabi ng mga driver namin at mekaniko mas matibay daw talaga canter at sa piyesa daw mas mabilis maghanap

mga delivery trucks namin puro canter tas mga coverted at galing japan.

alive and kicking pa naman lahat sila more than 10 years na. yun pinaka matagal yata 17 years eh

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
2012 Fuso Canter FE vs. Isuzu NKR (4HG1-T)