New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    I would also choose the Civic over the Corolla. The legroom at the back is spacious, suspension is also better since the rear is independent on both wheels compared to the corolla which is a torsion beam setup. And also the optitron gauge on the VTI-S variant is nice.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    I'm assuming that the model of the Civic is the previous generation ES body due to it's variant code and the Altis is the ZZ body.

Civic
    Pros:
    1. Better looking form
    2. More powerful engine
    3. More safety features (passenger side airbag, ABS)
    4. 15-inch wheels (for the VTi-S variant)
    5. Higher resale value

Cons:
    1. Weak suspension linkages (thinner than the previous generation models)
    2. Hard-to-find surplus parts (I tried to look for a few for a customer's car and what people in Banawe kept on telling me is that "Sir, Dimension model pala hanap nyo, konti lang surplus nyan".)
    3. OEM parts are quite expensive when you need to replace

Altis
    Pros:
    1. Reliable Engine (sludging can be solved by using semi-syn and fully-syn engine oils and shorter intervals as you noted)
    2. Solid build (a reputation that Toyota earned over the years)
    3. More affordable parts and maintenance
    4. Availability of parts
    5. Fuel efficient

Cons:
    1. Small interior room / short legroom for rear passengers
    2. The variant chosen only offers driver's side airbags
    3. 14-inch wheels (E variant)
    4. No ABS
    5. Lower resale value

Given a choice, I'll go for the Altis since I've driven Toyota cars for years now (I used to own 3 Corollas, an AE92, and 2 AE101 models, Innova, and now Vios J and E variants).

The only Honda cars that I've driven were an EK model LXi M/T back in 96-99, and I bought another EK, this time a VTi A/T model in 2007 and was planning to build it as a toy car but never had the chance to until I sold it last year.

HTH.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    *xtian119 -- also love the optitron gauge of the Civic. with that design, the Civic seemed ahead of its time.

*Navman101 -- very helpful info sir. thanks for summarizing everything. I was already convinced to buy a Civic, but after giving it a second thought, i'm confused again. my heart's shouting Civic but my wallet's demanding Altis. worse, I can hear Vios echoes too. lol! it it weren't for budget concerns, i would've dealt for a Civic by now. guess I have to reconsider everything again. btw sir, what exactly is the 'dimension body' Civic? also, how is your experience with your Vioses? I'm now (painfully) considering a 2007 Vios 1.3e and 1.5g... TIA!

4. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Hello sir.

My Vios J (December 07) yields an average of 12kms/L (my wife driving) while the Vios E gives me about 14kms to a liter of petrol (2010 model).

Pros:
    1. Fuel efficiency
    2. Affordable maintenance
    3. Availability of Parts
    4. Easy to drive
    5. Fits small parking spaces
    6. Good resale value
    7. Ample legroom and interior space (for a subcompact car)

Cons:
    1. Slow response above 175kph (1.3L)

My take on it is if you just need the car for a couple more years prior to buying your SUV, get the latest model so you can avoid costly repair bills while keeping the car, younger cars have less risks of breaking down. You might even get lucky in buying a 2nd hand unit (08-09) still covered by warranty.

Just my 2 cents.

Happy Hunting!

5. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    up ko lang
    nice advice navman101
    totoo 12km/L yun vios nyo? tipid pala ano

pasingit naman TS
    navman my idea kaba kung sino mas matipid sa dalawa vios o starex?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    dragonical, yes sir medyo matipid pa rin sya considering almost 4 years na yung oto.

Sorry di ako makacomment about the Starex since hindi pa ako nagkakaroon nito. Pero sa mga naririnig ko, matipid daw at matulin yung current model na Starex. VGT na yata gamit na turbo.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Hindi matipid ang current gen Starex CRDi VGT. Katamtaman lang for its power nasa mga 7-8km/L lang AFAIK.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    medyo malakas pala yung bagong Starex... pero in fairness, mabilis sya at madami naisasakay.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    pahabol lang sirs..

how much is the difference in fuel consumption between a Civic 1.6, Vios 1.5 and Vios 1.3? pahingi po ng figures. ty!

10. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Generally, you get 1.5-2km/L more per 0.2L decrease in displacement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast