New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mondymondy View Post
    I see.. I'll keep that in mind.. I'm having second thoughts about buying a Sentra because my dad said it has a low resale value. But because of that, I think I can use it to my advantage since I can buy a less older model with the same budget.

Can you explain why Nissan Sentras have low resale value if it is as reliable as Corollas?

TIA!

The reason is the box type B12 Sentra. It did have some problems which gave the public impression that ALL sentras are like that. This resulted in a lower re-sale value. bad for brand new buyers but for those buying 2nd hand Sentras, the price will be better.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I see.. Thanks for your inputs guys! One more thing, how about the fuel efficiency of the Sentras? Does it fair well with the Corollas? Fuel efficiency is among my top priorities so I really want a fuel efficient ride.

Fuel consumption is the same with the two cars (assuming both are factory stock).

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    If I were you, I'd get the Exalta since it's on the same price level of the Corolla BUT the Exalta is better equipped (moon roof, side curtains, leather trims, etc.). Mas masarap sumakay sa Exalta. But if you saw a better maintained Corolla, yun nalang.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    As for the Sentra, I'd suggest you get the pre-Exalta units. These reportedly have very good handling as compared to the Exalta which was tuned for comfort and with handling disregarded. I'd suggest you get either the GTS, Super Touring or Super Saloon variants. If it doesn't have multireflector headlamps, have them replaced for it to greatly improve visibility. The above mentioned variants already have ABS and driver's airbag if I'm not mistaken along with the 110hp 1.6L DOHC 16 valve engine.

B14 Sentras came with two models of 1.6L engines.

The earlier 96 to 98 units had the 1.6L GA16DNE which gave it 105hp. This engine had a downdraft style intake. The later 98 to 00 units had the GA16DE with 110hp, this had a side draft style intake. Note that this is the same engine found on the B13 92-95 Sentra ECCS. Both engines are torquey, developing max power at the middle of the rpm range.

The multi-reflector headlights came with the 98-00 units but you can retrofit these to the earlier 96-98 models (Super Saloon, Super Touring and GTS).

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by elijahpaul View Post
    If I were you, I'd get the Exalta since it's on the same price level of the Corolla BUT the Exalta is better equipped (moon roof, side curtains, leather trims, etc.). Mas masarap sumakay sa Exalta. But if you saw a better maintained Corolla, yun nalang.
    The 99-00 Nissan Sentra Exalta is a good car but it is a heavy car which results in higher fuel consumption. Also I think the EXALTAs were only available in A/T only.

Another thing to consider, with all the electronics and electrics that are now over ten years old, all the electronic toys might actually be a long term problem and not a benefit.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    I know about the 80s myth! Not because I'm old but because when I was small, the car in THAT myth is the one in our garage! That car was an '89 model that was bought 2nd hand and was with us from '92-'00 if I'm not mistaken. Its the top of the line model with the SOHC 12V GA16 engine and all power amenities. Ang bakal nun parang lata! Grabe ang yupi kapag nabangga! When it left us, it was in very good shape. Makintab pa ang paint job, and the engine runs fine, yun nga lang grabe na sobra ang gas consumption niya at mabilis masira ang piyesa't lagi nagpapapalit. And take note, it was only 11 years old at that time! Even our 2002 Trooper, even if it is known for being a lemon, has not had this much repairs done even if it is now around the same age as the Sentra was then!

As for the Sentra, I'd suggest you get the pre-Exalta units. These reportedly have very good handling as compared to the Exalta which was tuned for comfort and with handling disregarded. I'd suggest you get either the GTS, Super Touring or Super Saloon variants. If it doesn't have multireflector headlamps, have them replaced for it to greatly improve visibility. The above mentioned variants already have ABS and driver's airbag if I'm not mistaken along with the 110hp 1.6L DOHC 16 valve engine.
    Ahh.. I see.. so the Nissan Sentra b13 Series 3 (95 - 99 model) is better than the Exalta (2000 - 2002 model)? I'm opting for the Exalta because I think I can get one at 200k or less plus it's newer compared to Series 3. I like the tail lights of the Series 3 though..

7. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    The 99-00 Nissan Sentra Exalta is a good car but it is a heavy car which results in higher fuel consumption. Also I think the EXALTAs were only available in A/T only.

Another thing to consider, with all the electronics and electrics that are now over ten years old, all the electronic toys might actually be a long term problem and not a benefit.
    Most exaltas are available in A/T, but there are M/T versions like the exalta SLA I saw one here: http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/vi...rds=exalta+m+t

and an 2003 Nissan Exalta GX M/T

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/vi...rds=exalta+m+t

The M/T versions are very few I think.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for your inputs guys!! I'm really inclined on buying a Sentra now! I'm looking at the series 3 (95 - 97 mdl) and series 4 (98 - 2001 mdl). Which of the two is a better buy..?

I really appreciate all the help and advice you guys have given me.. Thanks!!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ahh.. I see.. so the Nissan Sentra b13 Series 3 (95 - 99 model) is better than the Exalta (2000 - 2002 model)? I'm opting for the Exalta because I think I can get one at 200k or less plus it's newer compared to Series 3. I like the tail lights of the Series 3 though..
    95 to 00 model is Sentra B14. "B14" is the chassis code.

Sentra B14 Series 3 has two versions of the tail-light.

95-98 Sentra (japan version)

98-00 Sentra (taiwan version)

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks for your inputs guys!! I'm really inclined on buying a Sentra now! I'm looking at the series 3 (95 - 97 mdl) and series 4 (98 - 2001 mdl). Which of the two is a better buy..?

I really appreciate all the help and advice you guys have given me.. Thanks!!
    I would go for the 95-98 series Sentra B14. It will be easier to find parts for it especially rear sections because the 98-00 model is Taiwan version. Our auto surplus supply generally comes from japan.

This goes double for the Exalta 98-00 units where the front headlight and signal light cluster is in one unit. Same goes for the grill and bumper too. Very difficult to find surplus replacements for this.

Sentra Exalta

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Toyota Corolla VS. Nissan Sentra (for a second hand car) Enlighten me please!