New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Hi guys!

I am planning to buy a second hand car and my budget would be 200k pesos. I have narrowed down my choices between a Toyota Corolla (Lovelife 98 - 2000 GLI or 95 - 97 bigbody GLI) and a Nissan Sentra (95 - 99 Series 3/4 or 2000 - 2002 Exalta).

I really want a fuel efficient and a low maintenance one because I'm a newbie driver who doesn't have experience tinkering a car. I hope you guys can help me out!

2. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    bro, for both cars, take into consideration din na manual transmission kunin mo since, i guess, it will be your 'bump car'.

for the corolla lovelife, pili ka ng xe or gli variants, pagkakaalam ko fuel injected narin 'to.

for the sentra, series 3 gen. 2 (malaki na yung tail lights) or a series 4, a supersaloon of this kind.

inspect maige yung mga titignang possible units, test drive, ask the previous owner of the car history.

Maglaan ng budget aside from the price unit for some possible repair.

Happy hunting bro!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you choose a Sentra, you can buy a newer (well, less older car) for the same money.

And with cars of this age, it might be better to choose manual transmission to minimize problems like an abused automatic transmission dying on you. But if you do choose automatic, surplus replacements can easily be found for either the Corolla or Sentra.

Best to choose a unit that is factory stock as much as possible. No aftermarket mufflers, headers, lowered suspensions, bodykits, etc. Makes it easier to service the car when needed. And a modified car can be an abused car (racing) or improperly done modifications can result in poor fuel mileage or early wear of certain parts like shocks, balljoints, bushings, etc.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; January 13th, 2011 at 06:27 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Yeah I'm really looking for a manual transmission variant because I heard that it's more fuel efficient and older cars that are automatic experience problems in transmission.

I just want to know if magkasing tibay ang corolla at sentra? Because I have read a lot of reviews about the robustness and reliability of the Corolla.

Thanks for replying sir..!

5. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    If you choose a Sentra, you can buy a newer (well, less older car) for the same money.

And with cars of this age, it might be better to choose manual transmission to minimize problems like an abused automatic transmission dying on you. But if you do choose automatic, surplus replacements can easily be found for either the Corolla or Sentra.
    Thanks for your reply! So the rumors spreading that Nissan parts are more expensive than Toyotas are not true? Since it's secondhand, I know that parts are soon going to be replaced and I want to spend a whole lot of cash replacing those.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mondymondy View Post
    I just want to know if magkasing tibay ang corolla at sentra? Because I have read a lot of reviews about the robustness and reliability of the Corolla.
    Corolla and Sentra is about the same in durability, reliability and cost of maintenance. But it's also all about the previous owner too in how he maintained the car before you bought it.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Corolla and Sentra is about the same in durability, reliability and cost of maintenance. But it's also all about the previous owner too in how he maintained the car before you bought it.
    I see.. I'll keep that in mind.. I'm having second thoughts about buying a Sentra because my dad said it has a low resale value. But because of that, I think I can use it to my advantage since I can buy a less older model with the same budget.

Can you explain why Nissan Sentras have low resale value if it is as reliable as Corollas?

TIA!

8. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mondymondy View Post
    I see.. I'll keep that in mind.. I'm having second thoughts about buying a Sentra because my dad said it has a low resale value. But because of that, I think I can use it to my advantage since I can buy a less older model with the same budget.

Can you explain why Nissan Sentras have low resale value if it is as reliable as Corollas?

TIA!
    This can be attributed to the poor after sales support of Nissan, old styles and platforms available, and The 80's myth about Nissan (ask your dad about it)

9. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    I see.. Thanks for your inputs guys! One more thing, how about the fuel efficiency of the Sentras? Does it fair well with the Corollas? Fuel efficiency is among my top priorities so I really want a fuel efficient ride.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I know about the 80s myth! Not because I'm old but because when I was small, the car in THAT myth is the one in our garage! That car was an '89 model that was bought 2nd hand and was with us from '92-'00 if I'm not mistaken. Its the top of the line model with the SOHC 12V GA16 engine and all power amenities. Ang bakal nun parang lata! Grabe ang yupi kapag nabangga! When it left us, it was in very good shape. Makintab pa ang paint job, and the engine runs fine, yun nga lang grabe na sobra ang gas consumption niya at mabilis masira ang piyesa't lagi nagpapapalit. And take note, it was only 11 years old at that time! Even our 2002 Trooper, even if it is known for being a lemon, has not had this much repairs done even if it is now around the same age as the Sentra was then!

As for the Sentra, I'd suggest you get the pre-Exalta units. These reportedly have very good handling as compared to the Exalta which was tuned for comfort and with handling disregarded. I'd suggest you get either the GTS, Super Touring or Super Saloon variants. If it doesn't have multireflector headlamps, have them replaced for it to greatly improve visibility. The above mentioned variants already have ABS and driver's airbag if I'm not mistaken along with the 110hp 1.6L DOHC 16 valve engine.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Toyota Corolla VS. Nissan Sentra (for a second hand car) Enlighten me please!