New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Hi all,

Long time member here, forgot my login details so logged in with Facebook. Haha. Anyway, upgrading my current 2010 Honda Jazz to a bigger car worth around Php1.1M.

Initially, I was only eyeing the Ford Ranger XLT since they price point was within budget, and it was one of the cheaper big cars that I really liked. I was ready to get it. But lo and behold, I found out that the Montero GLX M/T is almost exactly the same price point when you take into consideration the SRP discount and the insurance, LTO and other freebies which Ford can not offer.

Montero SRP is at 1.203M vs Ranger at 1.079M. But after discounts, they basically have almost the exact same cashout.

For a daily drive, which would you choose? Main considerations are:

1. Ride comfort
    2. Fuel efficiency
    3. Maintenance cost
    4. Looks

I don't really need a pickup since I might only haul stuff 4/5 times a year, but I love the ride height and the sheer size of the Ranger. I love the interior as well, since it looks refined and it doesn't feel like you're driving a truck when you're inside. I'm worried about its longevity though, both in appeal and practical use, especially as I will be turning 30 in two years. Baka hindi na bagay ang pick-up sa corporate setting. Hehe

I like the Montero since it looks elegant and sporty at the same time. It can be used both in a corporate and rugged setting. I think its appeal can last for years as well, since it's your basic big SUV. However, the interior looks dull compared to the Ranger, and from the reviews I've been reading, I think the Ranger wins in fuel efficiency.

I have yet to test drive both, since apparently they don't have test drive units of the Ranger. Will test drive the Montero this week.

Which would you guys pick, all things considered? I'm single, by the way. No plans of having a family within the next 5 years. :D

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Single? You driving? Get the Ranger.

The Montero has more seats and a more comfortable ride, but the Ranger has better steering, better handling, better braking and a more rugged underchassis and suspension. It also has better flood fording capability. The 2.2 has decent economy and if you're worried about your stuff getting wet, weather protection is just a roller cover or camper shell away.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Does ford ranger XL 4x2 is a goodbuy? I saw the price is only at 857k compared to trend a/t ecosport its 875k, which of the two is more better for its price?

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

4. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Maintenance Cost = Non-VGT Montero

Looks = Ranger - Regardless if corporate or rugged

Single = Ranger

Extra Seats and Roof = Non-VGT Montero - The 7 seater montero is flexible when space is needed. You can just fold the 3rd row seats, whereas in pickups, you need something to cover stuff at the bed.

Engine = Ranger

5. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    I would prefer a montero sir, with your kind of setting especially in corporate life and city driving.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I have a Ranger and I'm also in corporate but I think it's not that out of place.

It's actually a great car for a single guy, though admittedly I find myself frequently wishing for an enclosed cargo area. This could be easily solved with a 25k roller lid though.

While the Ranger is great to drive if it's just you, the Montero is a more comfortable car for passengers.

If you're not looking for power and don't mind the Montero's docile looks, go for it. It's really the better all-rounder.

But if you want a tough-as-nails brute that looks stunning and is still feature-rich, then go for the Ranger. It's not for all, but who knows, it might suit you well.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    monty for me. mainly because of convenience... pick ups are harder to park because of its bigger turning radius long tailgate and in the rangers case its a BIG and wide pickup. maintenance baka mas mura monty. Isa pa ... pangit gawing trunk yun pick up bed. pag roller lid nag leak din yun. yun fiberglass cover naman di ka maka load ng mataas na gamit kasi flat lang sya. ok pa yun nabibili na bolt on trunk sa likod kaso maiinitan din gamit mo lalo na kung groceries or other perishable items

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Using Ranger for Daily drive, performance wise hands down, looks - head turner, di naman ganun kahirap i park depends on the kind of parking area you have.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Thanks guys!! Previously replied to this thread but I don't know why my reply got deleted. Test drove both over the weekend. Now I'm super torn!!

Ranger:
    + Has that king-of-the-road feel, especially with that height and sheer size. The only cars that matched its size are the land cruisers and the Prados
    + super refined and quiet interior
    + Floods won't be a problem
    + BAD A*S

- quiet bouncy, but tolerable
    - not much use for the flat bed

Montero:
    + Comfortable ride and spacious interior given the additional space for the seats
    + Safe choice, family-ready
    + Looks okay even in stock form, refined

- People say it looks daddy-ish for a young, single guy
    - Just a bit noisier than the Ranger
    - No use for the 7 seats as well since I will be driving solo most of the time
    - looks just okay, no wow factor unlike the Ranger

Now what? Haha. I keep on telling myself either of the two is a good choice. Maybe 7 out of 10 people I asked picked the Ranger, saying it's newer and the Montero is due for a new model soon. Heck I wish I could have both. Help!

10. Join Date
    May 2010
    Just get yourself a Ranger.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast