New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Hi Tsikot Masters, I just want to get your insights on what should I get for my very first car (second hand lang)! I'm torn between these brands so I hope you could help me decide (bago lang po sa mundo ng cars).

Here are the things I consider on buying my first car:
    1. I'm on a tight budget of 250K - kaya second hand lang talaga kaya ko
    2. Its main purpose is for family use
    3. Automatic - para magamit din ni Wife
    4. Fuel Efficient - di ko po kailangan ng pangkarera
    5. Availability of parts - yung madali po makahanap ng pyesa, easy to maintain
    6. Looks - basta presentable, kahit ano pa po year basta reliable

I'm currently eyeing on Mitsu Galant 96-98 but I've read in some forums that it's a bit gas hungry.. The other is Honda Civic (not sure what variant esi? etc..) 96-99.. Or maybe you can recommend other brands/models?

Please help!

Thanks in advance mga Masters! :D

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ejnerizon View Post
    Hi Tsikot Masters, I just want to get your insights on what should I get for my very first car (second hand lang)! I'm torn between these brands so I hope you could help me decide (bago lang po sa mundo ng cars).

I'm currently eyeing on Mitsu Galant 96-98 but I've read in some forums that it's a bit gas hungry.. The other is Honda Civic (not sure what variant esi? etc..) 96-99.. Or maybe you can recommend other brands/models?

Please help!

What are you looking for? Subcompact, compact, midsize sedan, hatch, MPV, AUV, SUV?

For lower budgets, I would much rather prefer getting manuals. Older A/T's are not as sophisticated and generally tend to be power-robbing and much thirstier than their manual counterparts. It'll be much better if the wife learns how to drive a manual instead. Its not so hard, I've seen women drive AUVs and vans perfectly well!

Since you are looking for old models, parts shouldn't be a problem as long as the car was relatively successful in the country, and still has a healthy population on the road.

Mitsubishi Galant? So more on midsize sedans ka? If you're looking for old A/T midsize sedans, you might as well throw the fuel efficiency and parts cost out of the window. For old midsize sedans, the only one I'd recommend would be the 6th gen (1998-2003) Honda Accord M/T . FC is at around 7-8km/L city.

EK Civic's (1996-2000) are very much overpriced in the used car market. They are excellent handling cars with punchy engines, but with no additional equipment whatsoever.

If you want a somewhat fuel efficient matic car, might as well get the ZZ Altis 1.6.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002

Please help!

get an Altis. 2k1 - 2k4 variant. since you need space for your family, fuel efficient for its size, availability of parts and reasonable maintenance costs.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    To get the most out of your budget of 250k, you can consider the Sentra Exalta N16s (2001-2003, GS model) or the Sentra N16 (2004-present, GS model). Nissan cars tend to be priced lower sa used market so get a younger car for a lower budget. The GS model (AT) is built for comfort. FC is not as good as the Altis of the same age (8-9 Km/L vs 10-11 Km/L). Di rin problema sa parts as long as you know where to get them. To get better FC, you can look for the GSX model (1.6L MT). The older Sentra Exalta GS N16s look more presentable than the newer Sentra GS N16s, as it's more like a small Cefiro inside and out.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    go for toyota altis. Durable, low maintenance, fuel efficient and presentable. since more than 10 years model na makukuha mo, madali pa ipaayos sa suking talyer kahit ano mang sira lumabas. mura pa ang piyesa. mahal ang piyesa ng honda at nissan compared sa toyota. repair costs will burn a bigger hole in your wallet than the weekly gasoline expense.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for the input guys.. but I have settled for nissan sentra due to unexpected expenses I had this past few holidays.. :D

7. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    And expect more expenses hopefully not in the near future

8. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    HI uli mga Bossing Tsikoters..

sabi ko nung una settled na ako sa nissan kaya lang biglang may nakita ako na Toyota Corona Ex Saloon '96 at Opel Vectra '98 na mura.. arround 120-150K.. I haven't seen the cars pero mukhang ok naman condition nila.. setting aside the condition of the cars, ano po kaya pros and cons ng mga ito? sabi nila FC daw ay 6-8km/L on the average.. how about the parts and maintenance? will it hurt me a lot in the future? Hoping to hear from you soon mga masters. thanks!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    HI uli mga Bossing Tsikoters..

sabi ko nung una settled na ako sa nissan kaya lang biglang may nakita ako na Toyota Corona Ex Saloon '96 at Opel Vectra '98 na mura.. arround 120-150K.. I haven't seen the cars pero mukhang ok naman condition nila.. setting aside the condition of the cars, ano po kaya pros and cons ng mga ito? sabi nila FC daw ay 6-8km/L on the average.. how about the parts and maintenance? will it hurt me a lot in the future? Hoping to hear from you soon mga masters. thanks!
    stick with the sentra or the altis.
    corona has few parts, not to mention that its a guzzler.
    vectra has few parts too and expensive to maintain.

yes, it will really hurt you a lot.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for the advice sir 1D4LV.
    I'll scrap out Opel Vectra and Coronas.

As per the altis or nissan.. I don't think I can still afford to buy a 2nd hand altis because I had gone thru unforeseen expenses for the past months.. that's why I'm now down to 100-130K.. haay buhay.. (the price trend for altis today is like 220K up..)

So I have to settle for a cheaper car, eyeing on Nissan Sentra Super Saloon 96-99 and Toyota Corolla GLI 93-96 (I hope to get '98 up but their price ranges from 180K-220K)..

Any advice? Are these the ONLY options I can have based on my very tight budget?

Thanks in Advance!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Buying My First Car - Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota or Honda?