New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Hi!First time ko mag-post dito.I need an educated opinion, I'm planning to acquire a van. Pa-rent sana & for family use din. Pang-service din sa work (Malolos Bulacan to Timog via NLEX, daily).So I need a durable & fuel efficient one. I've been browsing the classifieds; would a Kia Pregio be a good choice? I'm a really a noob at this. Your opinions would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    your budget does limit your choices to a besta or a pregio. i've owned a besta. it's a basic van. and as long as the previous owner didn't abuse it, it's easy and cheap to maintain. i'd look for one whose radiator has been upgraded, and whose aircon works fine.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    How about a spacewagon, elantra, etc? May mga nakikita ako in the 130-140k price range. 97 model. Ok na din kaya un? matipid ba sa gas & easy to maintain?

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    The Pregio is the most modern van you can get for your budget. It is a nice van naman, much better than the prehistoric L300 Versa Van and Urvan that are still sold nowadays and IMHO also better than the previous gen Hiace. Forget the Space Wagon and Elantra. This is the one to get. Just make sure the Pregio is well maintained. Earlier Pregio's were known for overheating issues since the radiator couldn't take the heat.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    150k - 170k budget will only fits for a Kia Besta or a Pregio, I don't have any info about the pregio but afaik it rides more better than the Besta since its rear suspension is a coil spring though same power it has (both same engine with a 2.7L displacement). Alright, to tell you we own a Kia Besta 2.7 EST, we currently use it for our rental business (rent-a-van) every week we used to travel around the city to cater and tour our clients tourists from abroads (yung mga bakasyonista kasi suki namin e), from airports to any parts of NCR, from NCR/Laguna to any beaches in Batangas or Cavite at kung minsan kapag walang arkila or seservicesan, we use to travel it from our home in Laguna to Real, Quezon to pick up some fish products and to visit some relatives there. siguro mga 2x a month kame kung bumiyahe ng Quezon. Our besta almost clocks 130,+++ kms. and it still so far damn good what can I say more...??it is fuel efficient, (kaya magandang gamiting pangarkila instead of our reserve service car a toyota revo 1.8 gas which guzzles gas), powerful engine (2.7L never gonna let you down,can easily run on full passenger and full loads), maganda rin ang suspension, wala kalangitlangitngit kesa sa mga L300 which also in the same age of our van, yung nga lang mahina ang aircon niya (kung gusto mo magupgrade ng aircon, change the compressor na gamit ng mga nissan and change also the blower to a bigger one), about the overheating issue, we never experienced it so far sa tagal na namin paikot-ikot sa manila at quezon, basta alaga lang talaga sa coolant and promptly maintain.

P.S other options would be why not check a cagayan import van, marami kang pagpipilian dun sa port irene from Hi-aces to Nissan Urvans, be sure na maganda yung pagkakaconvert from RHD to LHD. and check also the papers.
    Last edited by zap.FREEDOM; April 9th, 2012 at 11:49 AM.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    There was once wherein we took a '96 Pregio to Baguio once. It was very long ago when that Pregio was still fairly new. The ride is really comfortable and despite being fully loaded, it was powerful enough to climb Kennon Road with no difficulty at all. Yun nga lang, I've seen Pregio's overheating more than once. There was once in NLEX when I saw a Pregio with smoke coming out of the cabin! Needless to say, that Pregio looked very much neglected. And I've heard that the Kia J2 engine really has a higher tendency to overheat when neglected as compared to other engines, even in its application in the Kia K2700.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    The Pregio is the most modern van you can get for your budget. It is a nice van naman, much better than the prehistoric L300 Versa Van and Urvan that are still sold nowadays and IMHO also better than the previous gen Hiace. Forget the Space Wagon and Elantra. This is the one to get. Just make sure the Pregio is well maintained. Earlier Pregio's were known for overheating issues since the radiator couldn't take the heat.
    Bosing curious lang, what made you decide against the Space Wagon & Elantra?

8. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zap.FREEDOM View Post
    150k - 170k budget will only fits for a Kia Besta or a Pregio, I don't have any info about the pregio but afaik it rides more better than the Besta since its rear suspension is a coil spring though same power it has (both same engine with a 2.7L displacement). Alright, to tell you we own a Kia Besta 2.7 EST, we currently use it for our rental business (rent-a-van) every week we used to travel around the city to cater and tour our clients tourists from abroads (yung mga bakasyonista kasi suki namin e), from airports to any parts of NCR, from NCR/Laguna to any beaches in Batangas or Cavite at kung minsan kapag walang arkila or seservicesan, we use to travel it from our home in Laguna to Real, Quezon to pick up some fish products and to visit some relatives there. siguro mga 2x a month kame kung bumiyahe ng Quezon. Our besta almost clocks 130,+++ kms. and it still so far damn good what can I say more...??it is fuel efficient, (kaya magandang gamiting pangarkila instead of our reserve service car a toyota revo 1.8 gas which guzzles gas), powerful engine (2.7L never gonna let you down,can easily run on full passenger and full loads), maganda rin ang suspension, wala kalangitlangitngit kesa sa mga L300 which also in the same age of our van, yung nga lang mahina ang aircon niya (kung gusto mo magupgrade ng aircon, change the compressor na gamit ng mga nissan and change also the blower to a bigger one), about the overheating issue, we never experienced it so far sa tagal na namin paikot-ikot sa manila at quezon, basta alaga lang talaga sa coolant and promptly maintain.

P.S other options would be why not check a cagayan import van, marami kang pagpipilian dun sa port irene from Hi-aces to Nissan Urvans, be sure na maganda yung pagkakaconvert from RHD to LHD. and check also the papers.
    Sir anong year model ung van nyo? & ano ung cagayan import van, noob talaga ako e. hehe.San sir ung port irene?

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Port Irene is in Cagayan, stronghold of the Enriles. Yung mga Cagayan imports are surplus units from Japan or Korea. Better yung mga Korea surplus since you don't have to convert them.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredder66 View Post
    Bosing curious lang, what made you decide against the Space Wagon & Elantra?
    because the space wagon is too small and ride is not as that bad but its totally not great, that's why it was easily trashed up by the Hyundai Starex during the early 2000's.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder66 View Post
    Sir anong year model ung van nyo? & ano ung cagayan import van, noob talaga ako e. hehe.San sir ung port irene?
    1997 Kia Besta (Hi-Besta EST 2.7) all power, from lock to windows. 2nd owner na rin kami nito ito napili namin kasi matipid din daw sa malakas nga ang makina kesa sa L300 at Hyundai Grace, we acquired it last year when it was still logged a 80,+++kms. on its odometer.

yung port irene is located in Cagayan Valley bandang norte (malayo nga siya) dito yung bagsakan ng mga imported japanese and korean, american surplus cars from japan. btw, kung gusto malapitlapit meron din mga surplus cars sa subic. isang kakilala ko dun nakabili ng starex at urvan sa subic. for only 80k - 100k each. It is surplus kaya mura, yung mga van nga daw sa port irene like urvan, hi-ace, mazda bongo cost only less than a 100k meron din tig- 200k , kaso sabi nila ingat lang sa pagpili ng unit.

check this: Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

mr.eric galang, a car trader at port irene.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Best van for 150-170k budget?