New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2011
    With a budget of 300-400k, I'm looking to buy a 2006-2009 Ford Focus Hatchback or Mazda 3 Sedan/Hatchback . This will serve as my backup/coding car and probably used on weekends too.

I'm looking for something more exciting/fun to drive compared to my boring altis :-D.

Any issues with both these models?

So far based on what I have read on forums:

More Fun to Drive = Focus
    Fuel Consumption = (7-9 km/l city) - Focus might have a small edge
    Maintenance = Same
    Reliability = Same?
    Resale = Same(Both Low)

If you were in my shoes, which of the two would you buy?
    Last edited by xninjax; February 17th, 2013 at 12:01 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the focus...
    i like the way it looks....
    imho.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Unless it's a Focus TDCi, I'd get the Mazda 3 any day... not the hatchback though, but the Mazda 2.0R sedan.

Those two (Focus TDCi & Mazda 2.0R) are pretty exciting vehicles to have compared to the Altis.

But if I were to choose between a Focus gas HB or a Mazda 3 HB, I'd get the Focus.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Some used Mazda3 2.0R could be found within the budget stated. If I have that amount of money for a used car, I will be looking for a Civic ES K20 (2.0L i-VTEC, 2004-2005) or the youngest 7th gen Accord (2003-2007) I could find, preferably with the K24 2.4L engine.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    None of these cars are what you'd call "cheap to maintain", not compared to old-school 90's cars... but the Accord is something else, entirely. It's a nice car, but you've got to have the budget to fix things when they go wrong.

A pretty big budget.

-

The Focus is the nicest car of the lot to drive, all around, the Civic is the most powerful on the highway and the Mazda3 2.0R is the liveliest at low speeds.

The Mazda3 hatch is nice, but it's sloooooooow.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    You can get the 1.8L FD Civic already for your budget. Fuel consumption isn't spectacular but doesn't really sting the wallet, and its got good power and reflexes.

I wouldn't really get the Focus, unless its the TDCi. The Mazda 3 looks really nice inside and out- something that wouldn't look dated even after ten years. 1.6 is underpowered but 2.0 is OK if you are willing to live with 2.0A/T consumption.

Honda's with K-series engines are a joy to drive, but are thirsty at the pump whether it be the K20 or the K24. Consider Honda models with these engines if your daily commute comes with lots of long, wide open spaces

7. Join Date
    May 2011
    Thank you all for the feedback. I'm leaning more towards the focus hatch gas. The TDCI version is out of the budget range I think (500K+ up already)
    Any transmission issues since I'm considering the AT models?

*GTI, care to expand why you wouldn't consider the focus?

I'll add the civic to my choices. THanks

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I'd get the Mazda 3 2.0R with that budget. Admittedly, the Civic 1.8S is larger and probably more economical, but the Mazda 3 just has more character. It's also torquier and more comfortable. Personally, it looks better too.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by xninjax View Post
    Thank you all for the feedback. I'm leaning more towards the focus hatch gas. The TDCI version is out of the budget range I think (500K+ up already)
    Any transmission issues since I'm considering the AT models?

*GTI, care to expand why you wouldn't consider the focus?

I'll add the civic to my choices. THanks
    It quite simple actually. In terms of looks, I prefer the Mazda 3 over the Focus. These two are mechanically the same underneath except for a few tweaks here and there, and even share the same engines. Therefore, since both are the same, I might as well go with the better looking one.

The cars in question are already modern, well-engineered vehicles. Transmissions are much better than those from the 90s in terms of reliability. Even if there would be transmission related problems, if used normally, it would be at least ten years later before I first hear of it, and by then you can already get a surplus tranny from Banawe for less than 20k.

10. Join Date
    May 2011
    Thanks GTI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast