New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    hi guys need your input which one will sound better for an SPL sound setup. Two 10" subs or one 12" sub and what type of subwoofer box do i need ported or sealed to gain the full potential of the subs?

thanks in advance...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    SPL is easy. It's simply the science of moving air.

Three parameters are important in speaker driver picking:
    1. Cone Area - because bigger cones move more air (elementary physics 101)
    2. Power - because you need power to move your cone and vc
    3. Linear Throw / xmax - because the more throw you have, the harder you displace air and this translates into more air moved

Since power is cheap nowadays compared back to 1990s.. most people simply focus on cone area and xmax. Xmax is especially expensive.. that's why JL W7 subwoofers costs as much as a Macbook Pro nowadays. It's because they're long-throw subwoofers.

Don't do the pie-r-squared equations since those give you a rough but wrong estimate. Remember, a 10" isn't 10 inches of cone space.. you have to take account for the cone surround when computing. This is why you look at the parameter of Sd which is their total effective cone area.

Based off of Fi's Sd..
    10" 48 in^2
    12" 74.4 in^2
    15" 125.5 in^2
    18" 187.5 in^2

So two 10" subwoofers will have 48x2 = 96 inches^2 of cone area while just one 12" will be 74.4. When all else is the same, 2 10" will be louder.

What type of subwoofer box depends on your subwoofer driver's parameters. There are subwoofers out there that are optimized for ported enclosures while some are pretty much sealed.

A ported box will generally be louder than a sealed box because... (1) they usually have a bigger air volume inside, and (2) they get free decibels at their ported frequency (f3)

3. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    ^^ thanks for the reply boss, some of your statements made my nose bleed need to google some terms since I am not familiar with all audio terms. One more question will i get a decent SPL setup for a 30-35K budget. What brand of subs, amps and seps can I get with this budget

4. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by automot0 View Post
    ^^ thanks for the reply boss, some of your statements made my nose bleed need to google some terms since I am not familiar with all audio terms. One more question will i get a decent SPL setup for a 30-35K budget. What brand of subs, amps and seps can I get with this budget
    Remember meron fine line ang LnC sa SPL setup. While the ESQL/LnC setup focuses on clarity on a loud volume, the SPL aim is to build the loudest car and just the loudest car. I've seen SPL setups which have stock speakers up front but is loud enough to break glass of neighboring buildings if it burps.

Which car do you plan on throwing this ba? I'd say be prepared to sacrifice a sizable chunk of your interior/trunk space for it.

Alamin muna yun plano mo then go and consult an installer on what to do. If you're on the LnC side, you'll have to get highly efficient speakers up front, amplifiers, and a subwoofer. If you're on the SPL side, your idea of budgeting is huge amount of amplifier power and even bigger subwoofers.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnkvn View Post
    Remember meron fine line ang LnC sa SPL setup. While the ESQL/LnC setup focuses on clarity on a loud volume, the SPL aim is to build the loudest car and just the loudest car. I've seen SPL setups which have stock speakers up front but is loud enough to break glass of neighboring buildings if it burps.

Which car do you plan on throwing this ba? I'd say be prepared to sacrifice a sizable chunk of your interior/trunk space for it.

Alamin muna yun plano mo then go and consult an installer on what to do. If you're on the LnC side, you'll have to get highly efficient speakers up front, amplifiers, and a subwoofer. If you're on the SPL side, your idea of budgeting is huge amount of amplifier power and even bigger subwoofers.
    salamat ulit sa reply, I plan to install it sa Montero. When you mention about sacrificing a big space mukang napapaisip na ko na simple set up na lang gagawin ko just to enhance the sound and add some bass. maybe I'll try to visit some audio shops in banawe and try to audition some of their works then i will decide. thanks