New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    How do I remove the rough contaminants on the lower sides of my car,the mud and dirt etc. Because after washing my car the paint feels rough and doesn't feel clean. Is there a easier way to remove the contaminants aside from using a clay bar? And if I use the clay bar should I also go on to polish, glaze and wax my car?

Also another thing is that I notice is some kind of water mark on my window that I can't seem to remove. Its kinda sticky and something like melted rubber or something. How do I remove that cause I tried washing my car with car shampoo and use a kangaroo fine glass window cleaner but no luck and then I tried using vinegar and still nothing.

With the current cleaning problems that I have, do you think I am better off sending my car to a professional detailer? How much would it cost if I have it cleaned by a professional? How much would it cost if I also get a waterless engine cleaning. And can you guys recommend me a professional detailer near manila, ermita, pasay? Hopefully with reasonable pricing Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    if you use a bug and tar remover, follow the instructions on the product label and disregard the method below.

tar/asphalt could be washed away with a mitt but sometimes stubborn enough to need long-play claying.
    try this on one panel only, on the lower side for suspect tar contamination. can be done on tarred glass

wash (always with car shampoo) the test panel. spray kerosene on the panel. Gaas or Kerosene is less than 60 pesos per liter at the gasoline station. 1 liter is enough.
    if those are tar or asphalt roughening the panel they would start to melt and you can rub them off easily with a cheap microfiber towel damp with kerosene after about 5-10 minutes
    then immediately rinse the surrounding area with water, shampoo and rinse again.
    feel and compare with other untreated panels. if this method proves effective, still be careful and test yet another spot til you get the hang of it.

i'd clay afterwards but kerosene softens paint so it's better to do the next steps a bit later.
    what i do is wash the car, remove tar, wash again. Then clay, polish, seal 1-2 panels only.

if you can handle it, always try/test first before having others take a chunk off your budget.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    You could probably use clay for both your issues. Claying really isn't that difficult - after you wash, soak the panel with lube, and rub away with your clay. If you use a fine clay, knead often, and don't use too much pressure (just enough to keep the clay on the panel), you shouldn't be causing any marring requiring polishing later on.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    ginawa ko yung kerosene spray sa lower sides of my car, very effective, nawala yung rough contaminants sa paint...ang kinis na ulet =)

saka na ko bibili ng clay bar...ang mahal eh...hehe

Quote Originally Posted by indiej View Post
    if you use a bug and tar remover, follow the instructions on the product label and disregard the method below.

tar/asphalt could be washed away with a mitt but sometimes stubborn enough to need long-play claying.
    try this on one panel only, on the lower side for suspect tar contamination. can be done on tarred glass

wash (always with car shampoo) the test panel. spray kerosene on the panel. Gaas or Kerosene is less than 60 pesos per liter at the gasoline station. 1 liter is enough.
    if those are tar or asphalt roughening the panel they would start to melt and you can rub them off easily with a cheap microfiber towel damp with kerosene after about 5-10 minutes
    then immediately rinse the surrounding area with water, shampoo and rinse again.
    feel and compare with other untreated panels. if this method proves effective, still be careful and test yet another spot til you get the hang of it.

i'd clay afterwards but kerosene softens paint so it's better to do the next steps a bit later.
    what i do is wash the car, remove tar, wash again. Then clay, polish, seal 1-2 panels only.

if you can handle it, always try/test first before having others take a chunk off your budget.

5. Join Date
    May 2011
    what's the brand of your kerosene spray? where can i avail of it? thanks a lot... got same problem here. after application, could the clear coat be washed away with it too? ty

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by grace_glide
    what's the brand of your kerosene spray? where can i avail of it? thanks a lot... got same problem here. after application, could the clear coat be washed away with it too? ty
    Ordinary kerosene lang ginagamit

7. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    na obserbahan ko nga din pag nag kerosene ka parang claying effect, kumikinis yung lower half, kaya lang di ko ginagawa ito madalas baka masira clear coat, at pag bugs naman pansin ko di effective ang kerosone. bought some P100 bug and tar remover * ace hardware still on observation of its efficacy and how safe it is on paint.

8. Join Date
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    Ordinary kerosene lang ginagamit
    thanks! i just hope it doesnt ruin the clear coat, my car is kinda new but im feeling the rough lower surface on my panels already.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2011

* Indiej, If I may ask you? Was there ever an instance where you experienced the problem with kerosene softening the paint? If so, I guess the paint you are pertaining to was the clearcoat and not the paint (base coat) itself. And if it is so, how did you apply the kerosene? Was it manually done or with a machine? And lastly, what was the condition of the clear coat that was applied with? Is it still stock or a repaint one?

Please bear with me but I' m very curious. I own a car wash/detailing and body repair/ painting shop here in Laguna. I do the painting myself. In my five years of experience, we have always used kerosene as a cleaning agent to remove bugs and tars and other paint surface contaminates. I have also used almost all kinds of rubbing, polishing and waxing compounds, from high end to reasonably priced. And even the more complicated to use water based.

Kerosene is cheap, friendly and can practically be used as a cleaning agent to remove paint surface stain and other contaminates.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    in your case kerosene is nothing to worry about, the only concern here in detailing is that if and when paint softens it becomes susceptible to marring or swirls. i personally didn't encounter any problem. i use thinner to clean before doing touch-ups too. i don't see much difference from solvents in wet paint that needs to be outgassed.

btw, i envy you refinishing peeps. i just hope more of you show an interest in detailing since you might know the notoriety of body shops among detailers so you may well "address" their concerns.

depending on the area riddled with tar spots, i use a household sprayer, after 10 minutes, wipe the tar with cloth or; sometimes i apply it using a cloth and use the same to wipe off the softened tar after 10 minutes, then wash.

my paint is largely oem, with clearcoat, done from the factory, there is some refinish but i gave it a year before i waxed it and it hasn't been buffed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Need Exterior detailing advice...